EyeBrain Announces Availability Of Its Eye-Tracking Device For Earlier Diagnosis Of Parkinson-Plus DiseasesMain Category: Parkinson's Disease
Also Included In: Medical Devices / Diagnostics; Neurology / Neuroscience
Article Date: 26 Jan 2011 - 1:00 PST
EyeBrain, a developer of medical devices for the early diagnosis of neurological diseases, today announced that its eye-tracking system (Mobile Eye Brain Tracker or Mobile EBT) is now available on the market for the detection of Parkinson-plus diseases. The device has already been used on around 100 patients to test for these syndromes. Results have shown that eye movements provide a more accurate early diagnosis than traditional clinical examinations.
The company's device is currently the only medical device to offer early diagnosis for a number of neurological diseases based on eye movements of patients. Furthermore, the Mobile EBT is non-invasive and costs less than regularly used imaging techniques, such as MRI or x-rays. It was developed in conjunction with La Pitié-Salpêtrière neurology team in Paris.
Parkinson-plus syndromes are a group of neurodegenerative diseases featuring the classical features of Parkinson's with additional features that distinguish them from simple idiopathic Parkinson's disease. They represent 15 per cent of Parkinson syndromes, and they are usually more rapidly progressive and less likely to respond to anti-parkinsonian medication than Parkinson's disease. As these disorders are very difficult to diagnose at an early stage, neurologists usually wait for a minimum of two years before they can provide a final diagnosis.
- Parkinson's Disease (PD)
- parkinson's - Google Search
- Signs and symptoms of Parkinson's disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- National Parkinson Foundation - Home
- Parkinson's Disease News from Medical News Today
- Parkinson's Disease Information Page: National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS)
- Parkinson's Disease: MedlinePlus
- Parkinson's Disease - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment of Parkinson's Disease - NY Times Health Information
- Parkinson's Disease Symptoms - Parkinson's Disease Health Information - NY Times Health
- Parkinson's Disease Center: Symptoms, Treatments, Causes, Tests, Diagnosis, and Prognosis
- The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research
- What are the Signs and Symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease?
- EyeBrain Announces Availability Of Its Eye-Tracking Device For Earlier Diagnosis Of Parkinson-Plus Diseases