Search My Blog

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Debian -- Getting Debian

Getting Debian

Debian GNU/Linux is distributed freely over the Internet. You can download all of it from any of our mirrors.

If you simply want to install Debian, these are your options:

  • Download a small image file, record it to a CD/DVD/USB disk/floppy, and install using the Internet.

    These small netinst images can be downloaded quickly. These allow you to download only those Debian packages that you actually want, but require an Internet connection on the machine being installed.

  • Download larger CD/DVD image files, record and install using that media only.

    The CD/DVD images can be downloaded using HTTP/FTP, BitTorrent, or Jigdo.

    The large CD and DVD images contain more packages, making it easier to install machines without an Internet connection. However, if you get a whole set of CDs or DVDs, you will get a lot of packages that you won't actually use.

  • Buy a set of CDs or DVDs from one of the vendors selling Debian CDs and install from it.

    Many of the vendors sell the distribution for less than US$5 plus shipping (check their web page to see if they ship internationally).
    Some of the books about Debian come with CDs, too.

    Here are the basic advantages of CDs prepared by someone else:

    • Installation from a CD set is more straightforward.
    • You can install on machines without an Internet connection.
    • You can install Debian (on as many machines as you like) without downloading all packages yourself.
    • The CD can be used to more easily rescue a damaged Debian system.
  • Buy a computer with Debian pre-installed.

    There are a number of advantages to this:

    • You don't have to install Debian.
    • The installation is pre-configured to match the hardware.
    • The vendor may provide technical support.

The Installation Manual contains detailed installation instructions.


Back to the Debian Project homepage.

Go there...
http://www.debian.org/distrib/

Debian is my second favorite Linux Distro... second only to Fedora. Probably only because I started with Fedora 5 via Blag 5000 Linux. Which I learned Linux on and about Fedora's RPM App installers and the Fedora File Structure. Blag came with allot of RPM Apps already installed. So it was ready to go, as soon as you installed it and updated the System. I like to keep Fedora, I'm currently using Fedora 14 as my Daily use OS. And I getting ready to Install a new Debian System to run the Apps that I like which run better on Debian. I Did use Debian as my Daily use OS for 2 years and got pretty familiar with it and I liked it quite well. But, for some reason... I find Fedora easier to use and install Apps on. I love Installing New Apps!:) I'm rambling on now... But, I'm posting about Debian, mostly because it has been and I think still is a Slimmer Distro than Fedora. Requiring less System Resources to run than Fedora and I think it will run just great with Flux Box or a similar light weight Desktop environment on an older Machine. Like a 500mhz P3. With something slimmer for a Desktop, instead of my favorite Gnome... Just a reminder for my self;) To Do...

Don

No comments: