Search My Blog

Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Writer’s PC | the friday blog

The Writer's PC

January 14th, 2011

One of my many New Year's Resolutions has been to rebuild my writing PC and get down to some serious writing again.

Because the PC is rather old and not very high powered this has restricted the options available to me.

None the less, I was confident that I could build a working machine from an 11 year old 600MHz Celeron with 256MB of RAM.

I started by downloading the latest Debian Squeeze Beta from here.

I should say here that even though it's officially a Testing release, it is , I have found, more stable than many final distributions.

The objective was to build a machine that would allow me to write efficiently but not offer any distractions to the writing process.

Thus, I decided just to install the base version of Squeeze and add then only those components that I needed.




Installing the Operating System…

I started off by inserting the CD and rebooting.

From the Installer boot menu I chose the Install option (I find this less complicated than the Graphical Install.)

After choosing the language, the location and  the keyboard language the installation kicked off with the hardware scan.

I let it chug away.


Read more...
http://www.thefridayblog.com/linux/the-writers-pc/

Don

No comments: