Downloading Debian CD/DVD images via HTTP/FTP
Please do not download CD or DVD images with your web browser the way you download other files! The reason is that if your download aborts, most browsers do not allow you to resume from the point where it failed.
Instead, please use a tool that supports resuming. Under Unix, you can use aria2, wxDownload Fast or (on the command line) wget -c URL or curl -C - -L -O URL. Under Windows, you might want to try Free Download Manager or GetRight. Under Mac OS, have a look at Speed Download.
The following Debian images are available for download:
- Official CD/DVD images of the stable release
- Official CD/DVD images of the testing distribution (regenerated weekly)
- A complete list of debian-cd/ mirrors
- For network install (180 MB) and business card-size (40 MB) images, see the network install page.
- For netinst and businesscard images of the testing release, both daily builds and known working snapshots, see the Debian-Installer page.
The Next Generation Download Utility
aria2 is a lightweight multi-protocol & multi-source download utility operated in command-line. It supports HTTP/HTTPS, FTP, BitTorrent and Metalink. aria2 has built-in XML-RPC interface. You can manipulate aria2 via XML-RPC interface.
aria2 can download a file from multiple sources/protocols and tries to utilize your maximum download bandwidth. Really speeds up your download experience.
aria2 doesn't require much memory and CPU time. The physical memory usage is typically 4MiB (normal HTTP/FTP downloads) to 9MiB (BitTorrent downloads). CPU usage in BitTorrent with download speed of 2.8MiB/sec is around 6%.
Fully Featured BitTorrent Client
All features you want in BitTorrent client are available: DHT, PEX, Encryption, Magnet URI, Web-Seeding, Selective Downloads and Local Peer Discovery.
aria2 supports The Metalink Download Description Format(aka Metalink v4). Old Metalink v3 is also supported. Metalink offers File verification, HTTP/FTP/BitTorrent integration and Configuration for language, location, OS, etc.
Command-line scares you off? No, aria2 is really easy to use!!
Download from WEB
BitTorrent Magnet URI
Download URIs found in text file
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
wxDownload Fast (also known as wxDFast) is an open source download manager. It is multi-platform and builds on Windows(2k,XP), Linux and Mac OS X(binary still not available). Besides that, it is a multi-threaded download manager. This means that it can split a file into several pieces and download the pieces simultaneously.
Created in C++ using the wxWidgets(wxWindows) library.
- Faster downloads (with Segmented/Multi-threaded/Accelerated transfers)
- Download resuming (Pause and restart where you stopped)
- Download scheduling
- Organizes files you have already downloaded
- View server messages (HTTP, FTP, file://). No HTTPS support.
- Available in multiple languages and easily translated. Now available in Portuguese [Brazil], Spanish, English, German, Russian, Hungarian, Armenian, Indonesian and Dutch
- Connection to HTTP/FTP servers which require a password
- Calculates the MD5/SHA1 checksum of downloaded files so they can be easily verified
- Metalink support
- Firefox integration through FlashGot
- Can be used as a portable download manager (Windows only)
- Can be used over proxy servers(HTTP proxy support)
Mac OS X Build
At the moment, there are some users trying to build the wxDownload Fast on OS X.
But there are some problems that need to be fixed before the Mac build become usable
(The programs builds, but for some reason the interface become blocked).
Read this forum topic for more informations.