Search My Blog

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Markup.io lets you share Web pages with more than just a link

Markup.io lets you share Web pages with more than just a link

Sharing Web pages with friends usually consists of sending them a link and some sort of explanation. Markup.io is a new service that makes the process a bit more personal -- and a lot more fun. Basically, it allows you to not only share a link, but also show your friends exactly why you're sharing it, by marking the page up as though you took a sharpie to your screen.

Markup.io works through a simple bookmarklet, so your choice of browser doesn't matter. When you're on a site you want to mark up, whether it's by circling a block of text or pointing to a person in a picture, you just hit the bookmark to load the service. When you're done, you can choose to publish your markup version of the page. That gets its own short-ish URL at Markup.io, which you can use to share any way you want.

Possibly the most interesting part about it all: When you friend gets the link you send them, they have the option of responding with markup of their own. The service is still new, but current markup options include drawing lines, arrows, freestyle shapes, circles, and text. It reminds me a bit of Skitch, only it shares entire Web pages instead of images.

Read more...
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2010/10/09/markup-io-lets-you-share-web-pages-with-more-than-just-a-link/

Well, I went to the Web Site http://markup.io/ to try it out. First off the Java App Link in the Image that Says Get Markup (the only way on the site to get it) didn't work in my Browser (Firefox 3.6.10 with jre-6u20-linux-i586). So, I copy and pasted the link javascript:javascript:(function()%7Bwindow.add_js=function(s)%7Bvar%20k=(document.getElementsByTagName('head')%5B0%5D%7C%7Cdocument.body).appendChild(document.createElement('script'));k.src=s;k.type='text/javascript';%7D;window.MarkUp=window.MarkUp%7C%7C%7B%7D;window.MarkUp.id='91238867-d47d-11df-b97b-001517bacb5f';add_js('http://api.markup.io/bootstrap.js?v=1&'+(+(new%20Date)))%7D)(); into another Tab. Oddly, it did try to load something. This does not usually work with Java App links... But, I'm still waiting for it to load. It's been way over 30 seconds now.... It sounded kind of neat. But, markup.io is a No Go for me:( Or well... I when I was looking to see what version of Java I had installed... I remembered that I hadn't checked to see if there is a newer version of Java out, I had jre-6u20-linux-i586. There is, jre-6u21-linux-i586 and I just installed it. What a pain. Java and Flash, as soon as they get it working they come up with a newer version and things don't work again!:O Haven't they ever heard of Backwards Comparability??? Ok, so as per usual with Java... Their Java Test Page, http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp?detect=jre&try=1 Still says that my Java Version is out of date:O This is why I usually don't bother going there... But, lets see if the http://markup.io/ Page works now. Nope, still a dead image link:( I don't know why they don't put an actual HTML Link on their Site too. But I really don't care any more... It might of been a cool service, but it doesn't work for me:(

Don

No comments: