Search My Blog

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Snow Globe: Part One, Cheap DIY Spherical Projection | eclecticc

Snow Globe: Part One, Cheap DIY Spherical Projection

Since reading Snow Crash, I’ve been drawn to the idea of having my own personal Earth.  Because I’m stuck in reality and the virtual version of it is always 5 years away, I’m building a physical artifact that approximates the idea: an interactive spherical display.  This is of course something that exists and can likely be found at your local science center.  The ones they use are typically 30-100″ in diameter and cost enough that they don’t have prices publicly listed.  Snow Globe is my 8″ diameter version that costs around $200 to build if you didn’t buy a Microvision SHOWWX for $600 when they launched like I did.

The basic design here is to shoot a picoprojector through a 180° fisheye lens into a frosted glass globe.  The projector is a SHOWWX since I already have one, but it likely works better than any of the non-laser alternatives since you avoid having to deal with keeping the surface of the sphere focused.  Microvision also publishes some useful specs, and if you ask nicely, they’ll email you a .STL model of their projector.  The lens is an Opteka fisheye designed to be attached to handheld camcorders.  It is by far the cheapest 180° lens I could find with a large enough opening to project through.  The globe, as in my last dome based project is for use on lighting fixtures.  This time I bought one from the local hardware store for $6 instead of taking the one in my bathroom.
I’ve had a lot of fun recently copying keys and people, but my objective in building a 3D printer was to make it easier to do projects like this one.  Designing a model in OpenSCAD, printing it, tweaking it, and repeating as necessary is much simpler than any other fabrication technique I’m capable of.  In this case, I printed a mount that attaches the lens to the correct spot in front of the projector at a 14.5° angle to center the projected image.  I also printed brackets to attach the globe to the lens/projector mount.  The whole thing is sitting on a GorillaPod until I get around to building something more permanent.
Read More...
http://eclecti.cc/computergraphics/snow-globe-part-one-cheap-diy-spherical-projection

Updates: See Videos and more info here...

Snow Globe and the Adjacent Reality Tracker | eclecticc


I like the looks of this one:) I guess if I'm gonna be able to make any of this cool stuff. I'll have to start by building a 3D Printer!:)

Don

    Snow Globe Part One, Cheap DIY Spherical Projection
    DIY orb display puts the Earth in your hands - Hack a Day
    People-tracking orb demo makes us want to build our own - Hack a Day
    Snow Globe: Part One, Cheap DIY Spherical Projection | eclecticc
    OLPC | eclecticc

    Snow Globe and the Adjacent Reality Tracker
    DonsDeals: Snow Globe: Part One, Cheap DIY Spherical Projection | eclecticc
    Live Satellite Tracking on a Snow Globe Spherical Display - YouTube
    Snow Globe and the Adjacent Reality Tracker - YouTube
    3D sphere display and controller - Hack a Day
    Snow Globe and the Adjacent Reality Tracker | eclecticc
    MicroVision SHOWWX+™ Laser Pico Projector
    Satellites on a Snow Globe Spherical Display | eclecticc
    Snow Globe: Part One, Cheap DIY Spherical Projection | eclecticc
    DonsDeals: Snow Globe and the Adjacent Reality Tracker | eclecticc

    More Projectcs by Nirav Patel

    No comments: