filed under: handhelds hacks
[Luke] wanted an arcade-style controller that he could use for some gaming at home. He decided to use a portable game emulator as a base and then added his own joystick and buttons along with a custom case.
The donor hardware is a Dingo A320. It’s a nice little handheld with a 2.8″ screen, and plenty of potential to emulate games like Donkey Kong seen above, or to play homebrew. It’s even been the target of some RAM upgrades we looked in on in the past. The best part for [Luke's] project is that it includes a video out port.
In the clip after the break you can see that [Luke] now has a compact controller with a huge arcade joystick, four buttons on the top surface, and the rest of the controls all around the edges of the enclosure. The video out option is selected in the menu system, so he preserved the original LCD for use during configuration.
tagged: a320, arcade, dingo, emulator, handheld, Joystick
Dingoo Arcade Plug'n Play MOD
For no really good reason, I had to mod a Dingoo A320 with a memory upgrade. The 320 has 32MB of RAM, but the A330 has 64MB of RAM. IMHO the A320 has more going for it, fewer glitches, than the 330. But the 330 has more memory…
I read up on the chips in the 330, and the chips in the 320. I checked my 320 to see how it was wired. It looked feasible. None of my tests said it would fail, so the only way to know for sure was to try it.
DigiKey had the chips I wanted and they were only about $12.50 for a pair of them. No turning back now…
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
| ||This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (April 2009)|
|Manufacturer||Dingoo Digital Technology Company Ltd.|
|Type||Handheld game console|
|CPU||Ingenic JZ4732(or JZ4740) @ 336MHz (underclocked from 400MHz) (MIPS architecture)|
The Dingoo A320 is a gaming handheld that supports music and video playback and open game development. The system features an on-board radio and recording program. It is available in two colors—white and black—with a third color, pink, announced for future release. It was released in February 2009.
- CPU Ingenic JZ4732 @ 336 MHz, underclocked from 360 MHz (clocks up to 433 MHz) (MIPS architecture)
- RAM 32MB @ 112 MHz (Underclocked from 133 or 166 dependent on unit)
- Internal Storage 1/2/4GB flash
- Additional Storage MiniSD/SDHC (MicroSD/SDHC with adapter)
- Input D-Pad, 2 shoulder, 4 face, Start & Select buttons, Mic.
- Outputs Stereo Speakers, Headphone Jack & TV-out w/ included cable
- I/O USB 2.0
- Display 2.8" LCD, 320x240 resolution, 65.5K colors
- Battery 3.7V 1700-1800 mAH (6.29WH) Li-Ion, approx. 7 hours run time
- Video Playback RM, MP4, 3GP, AVI, ASF, MOV, FLV, MPEG
- Audio Playback MP3, WMA, APE, FLAC, RA
- Radio Digital FM Tuner
- Recording Supports digital recording of voice (MP3 and WMA formats) and FM radio at 8KHz
- Software Support Free official and unofficial SDKs Available
- Dimensions 125 × 55.5 × 14mm) / (4.92in x 2.17in x 0.59in)
- Weight 3.8 oz (110g)
- 3D,Game Boy Advance, Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo and more.
Some original games are Chinese and English; others are Chinese only.
- 7 Days salvation
- Ultimate Drift
- Dream Drift
- Dingoo Snake
- Amiba's Candy
- Hell Striker
- Decollation Warrior
- Rick Dangerous (port)
- Duke Nukem 3D (Dingux port)
- Atari 800 8-bit computers
- Atari 2600 (Dingux only)
- Atari 5200
- Atari 7800
- Atari Lynx
- Commodore 64
- Commodore Amiga
- Magnavox Odyssey 2
- MSX (openMSX Dingux)
- Neo Geo
- Neo Geo Pocket
- Nintendo Game Boy and GameBoy Color
- Nintendo Game Boy Advance
- PC Engine
- PlayStation (Dingux only)
- Sega Genesis/Mega Drive/Mega-CD (Dingux only)
- Sega Master System and Sega Game Gear (in progress, working for most games)
- WonderSwan and WonderSwan Color (in progress, working for most games)
- ZX Spectrum (GP2Xpectrum for Dingux, Unreal Speccy Portable for native OS)
 Arcade games
- Centipede and Millipede
- FinalBurn Alpha (Dingux only)
- MAME 
- Mikie (Konami arcade game)
- Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man
 Video player
- Video containers: RMVB, RM, AVI, WMV, FLV, MPEG, MP4, ASF, MOV
- Video codecs: WMV1, WMV3, WMV7, WMV8.1, WMV9, MP42, mp4v, DIV3, DiVX5, XViD, MJPG, MPEG1, MPEG2
- LCD resolution: 320×240
 Audio player
 Photo viewer
 Text reader
- Supports TXT file formats (English and Chinese)
- Support English text to speech
- Further functions include bookmarking, auto browsing, font sizing, and it can open while music is playing.
 Radio receiver
- FM Radio
- Wide channel range from 76.0–108.0 MHz, support manual/auto channel scanning, FM recording and can keep playing while using other application. User can save up to 40 channels.
 Audio recording
- Voice and radio recording
- Voice recording and supports MP3/WAV formats.
- Supports SWF File Format (only Flash 6)
- U-disk virus protection: Built-in anti-virus software protection, to keep the system at its best performance.
- USB 2.0 Transmission Interface: Windows 2000/XP/Vista and Mac OS X support
 File browser
- allows you to find files on your Dingoo (games, music, videos, photos, voice recordings)
 Official firmware
- Firmware V1.01
- Firmware V1.02
- Firmware V1.03
- Firmware V1.10 (Added Multi-Language Support)
- Firmware V1.11 (Added Korean Language Support)
- Firmware V1.20 (Y & B button bug fix and more)
- Firmware V1.22
 Unofficial firmware
Team Dingoo released the first unofficial firmware with user customizable theming possibilities. The system files were moved from hidden memory to an accessible memory location, allowing users to change the graphical settings. This firmware is updated regularly.
The native operating system of the Dingoo A320 is µC/OS-II, a low-cost priority-based pre-emptive real time multitasking operating system kernel for microprocessors, written mainly in the C programming language. It is mainly intended for use in embedded systems. All official software for the Dingoo A320 (including its emulators) run on µC/OS-II.
A dual boot installer called "Dingux" was released June 24. This allows for dual booting the original firmware or Linux without the need for connection to a PC.
Enthusiasts have successfully run Linux versions of many games, including Prboom engine (Doom, Hexen, Heretic), Build engine (Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior), Quake, Dodgin' Diamonds 1 & 2, Biniax 2, GNU Robbo, Super Transball 2, Defendguin, Waternet, Sdlroids, Spout, Tyrian, Rise of the Triad, Open Liero, REminiscence, Blockrage, and the OpenBOR game engine.
 See also
- Similar portable Linux-based gaming devices:
- Mi2 console
- List of Linux-based, handheld gaming devices
- Dingoo A320 review by Tech Radar
- Dingoo A320 Review by Gadgetoid (English)
- Dingoo A320 Review at ntsc-uk forums (English)
- Dingoo Official Website (English)
- Dingoo Digital Unofficial Support and Discussion Forum Website (English)
- Dingoonity: Dingoo A320 Development and Discussion forum (English)
- Dingoo A320 FAQ (English)
- Dingoo-Scene A320 News Blog (English)
- Dingoo Video-Audio Codec Analysis (English)
- Emuboards A320 News (English)
- DCEmu A320 News (English)
- PDRoms Dingoo News & Files (English)
- A320 Wiki
- Gx-mod A320 Support and development (French)
- Booboo's Dingoo Linux Blog (English)
- Vice ( Dingoo native)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Dingoo|
filed under: handhelds hacks
[Stephanie] beefed up the hardware on her Dingoo A320. She enjoyed the features that the A320 handheld gaming system offered, but wanted the 64mb of RAM available in its bigger brother, the A330. A comparison of the two led her to believe a swap might be possible and after sourcing a pair of replacement chips for $12.50 she took the plunge. Once the solder had cooled it was just a matter of flashing some different firmware to take advantage of the upgrade.
[Thanks Juan via Dingoonity]tagged: a320, a330, dingoo, ram
I like these Mods, even though I had no idea what a Dingoo was until I read these articles!:) I just like it when People or I, Hack Stuff!:)
- The Dingoo A320 is a gaming handheld that supports music and video playback and open game development
- Portable get a proper home in an arcade controller - Hack a Day
- Dingoo A320 RAM upgrade - Hack a Day
- Dingoo Mod – to the EXTREEEM! « Transmissions from Planet Stephanie
- Digi-Key - W9825G6EH-6-ND (Manufacturer - W9825G6EH-6)
- Increase A320 RAM | Dingoonity.org - The Dingoo Community
- News | Dingoonity.org - The Dingoo Community
- Dingoo A320 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Dingoo Arcade Plug'n Play MOD - YouTube
- File:Dingoo A320 White.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia