It’s easy to make a simple pipe using slip of a plastic straw. But playing it's a little trickier because it has a double reed. As long as you don't mind just a little practice to perfect the sound, it's an easy project to make and enjoy.
- 1Flatten the end of a straw.
- 2Cut the straw to remove the two slanted ends (or triangle shapes).
- Blow forcefully. Keep practicing until you make a sound.
- The high or low tones will change depending on the length of the straw pipe.
- Vary your breathing to change the tones as well. The strength of your breath will cause the sounds to change.
- Since straw material is light, it vibrates well, producing sound easily.
- Cut some small holes on top of the straw at various points. Cover these holes with your fingers to change the pitch of your straw.
- Sample sound: http://www.twitvid.com/CFZTH
- Please be careful; don't poke a long straw down your throat!
- Don't run while playing a straw pipe in case it becomes lodged in your throat.
edit Things You'll Need
edit Related wikiHows
Articles for You to Write
October 14, 2010 by Chris H