Search My Blog

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Plecter Labs - Articles - DIY Projects & Props - The Arduino Notebook

The Arduino Notebook

As a traveler, I like to have some hardware platforms with me all the time to program and test directly on some actual device ! I have memories of firmware writing in a bullet train, waving my saber sound board around, with my neighbors watching me, wondering if I was a bomb maker or another weirdo with some new kind of Tourette / OCD :-)

As I like any prop to work (I design props replica electronics as a hobby), I created this custom notebook cover, which at the same time makes the notebook pretty unique and useful also for doodling some code / program.  The front and back pads are decorative but can be used also as a protyping area with SMD or thru-hole components. Once the the board is a mess, it can be replaced but the notebook can be kept. Using solder braid, the arduino brain can even removed and placed to a fresh PCB cover.
At the end, it's a code / program doodler. I would have called it coodle if it wasn't "confusing" with certain body areas LOL.

As a former Electronic Engineer, I usually design my own microcontroler boards (PIC based) but Arduino is perfect for prototyping ideas, check some algorithm or code proof-of-concept. I really enjoy the idea of having a protyping platform in my backpack on which I can work pretty much anywhere.

As for the notebook itself, I just LOVE those ZAP BOOKS. First they are made of recycled paper and second, that paper is wonderful to sketch on (I already own a couple of those that I covered with hand-dyed leather).
Also, the spine attachment makes the Arduino "cover" very easy to install. Even if the notebook isn't filled up, you can replace / swap covers at any time.


Read More...
http://www.plecterlabs.com/catalog/article_info.php?articles_id=96&language=en

Arduino notebook cover makes it easy to tinker anywhere
Arduino notebook cover makes it easy to tinker anywhere - Hack a Day
Plecter Labs - Articles - DIY Projects & Props - The Arduino Notebook
      
New Articles
Tutorials (23)
Manuals&Support (14)
DIY Projects & Props (34)
Videos
Downloads and Sound Fonts (4)

No comments: