Search My Blog

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Thoughts on Technology: #fedora - You are always wrong - Posted by JeffHoogland

#fedora - You are always wrong

EDIT: Please note that obviously the people in #fedora are not representative of the fedora community as a whole.

~Jeff Hoogland


Fair warning - I am about to go off on a rant here.

I discovered this evening much to my dismay that the year and a half old western digital hard drive in my main laptop is dieing. All three of the Linux installs on the system failed in various ways (typically a sign of a hardware issue) so I grabbed the closest live CD and popped it in. Now, it's been awhile since I've burned a live CD so the top disc in my spindle was an old Fedora 13 disc. After the system booted up, I connected to my wireless internet and was on my way.

There was a few gigs of data on the drive I didn't have backed up, so I opened nautilus and navigated to my files.

Ahh right - the permissions of the hard drive made it so I could not read certain folders I needed access to. Not a problem, I'll just launch the file manager as root. I opened a terminal, typed in su followed by nautilus and was greet by a crash message.

Read More...
http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2011/05/fedora-you-are-always-wrong.html?showComment=1304893249184#c2788482067498872875

Sounds to me like, Jeff just doesn't know his Linux Apps and which ones work best in a given situation.
Just Open a Terminal Window and do this...
#su
#(answer with your root password here or just hit enter if is is blank on your live cd)
#yum install thunar
#(thunar install done)
#thunar
Do what you want to do as root;)

Don

Top Articles



No comments: