Search My Blog

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

What's happening to iGoogle? - Web Search Help

iGoogle will be retired in 16 months, on November 1, 2013. The mobile version will be retired on July 31, 2012.
How did you come to this decision?
We originally launched iGoogle in 2005 before anyone could fully imagine the ways that today's web and mobile apps would put personalized, real-time information at your fingertips. With modern apps that run on platforms like Chrome and Android, the need for something like iGoogle has eroded over time, so we’ll be winding down iGoogle on November 1, 2013, giving you a full 16 months to adjust or easily export your iGoogle data.
What will happen to the data stored in my gadgets?
All of your personal data stored in other Google products will continue to be available via those products, including Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Finance, Google Docs (now Google Drive), Google Bookmarks, and Google Tasks. Other gadgets, like the to-do list, allow you to export your data - look for the “Download all” option under the drop-down menu tied to the title of your list. Most iGoogle gadgets are created and maintained by third-party developers. If you’d like to export your data, you should contact the gadget creator directly.
I really like iGoogle -- are there any other alternatives?
On your mobile device, Google Play offers applications ranging from games to news readers to home screen widgets.
If you’re a fan of Google Chrome, the Chrome Web Store provides a similar range of options like productivity tools and applications to check the weather. In addition, just like iGoogle, you can personalize Chrome with a theme.
Go there...
http://support.google.com/websearch/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2664197

Well, this is a bit of Bad News to me... I have used iGoogle, since it first came out and really like it. I have mine set up with my favorite Tech News Headlines, from my favorite Sites. It saves me allot of time, in finding interesting information all day, every day. I have iGoogle set as my Browsers Home Page and of course it has Google Search at the Top. This makes it so easy to use Google for my Web Searches. My favorite Web Browser is Firefox and I do have Search at the Top right side in the Tool Bar. But, even with a 23 inch Monitor. It is too short for me to read all of the words that I type or past in for my searches. I don't like that. I can't glance at what I typed to change it or check my spelling. So, I rarely use it. I use to have my search "Bar" Set to use Google. But, now I have it set to use DuckDuckGo. I like the concept of DuckDuckGo But, it really doesn't find what I am looking for, all that well. I have to go through the results, as far as Page 3, usually to find what I want. This happens when I am looking for a page that I have been to before, but can't remember the URL, for instance. That's how I gauge it... But, the more Google Changes things, especially the Lack of Privacy... The more I am being Pushed towards other Search Engines, like DuckDuckGo.

And a long time ago... Before there was an iGoogle... There was a Yahoo Start page. I used it, back then and liked it allot. But, I always liked the Search Results that I got from Google and still do. The My Yahoo Home - Start Page is still available at, http://my.yahoo.com And it has Apps that you can add to it too. I found one of my Favorites. The Hack a Day App. Which will put the headlines from HackaDay.com on your Home Page. It is easy to setup and you can change Themes too. But, I know I still wont be using Yahoo Search again any time soon. Well, unless Google keeps changing things to the Point that I don't like their Search any more. Here's some links to more iGoogle Alternatives... 


Don


iGoogle Alternatives
iGoogle Alternative - Google Search
Netvibes – Social Media Monitoring, Analytics and Alerts Dashboard
StartPage - StartPage Sites as alternative to iGoogle
iGoogle Shutdown: AllMyFaves is the Perfect Alternative Homepage « All My Faves | Blog | @allmyfaves
iGoogle Alternative Netvibes
5 iGoogle Alternatives You Should Consider - TECHGEEK.com.au
iGoogle Alternative at DuckDuckGo
Two more iGoogle alternatives | Workers' Edge - CNET News
I want to: 25 iGoogle Alternatives
uStart.org - Your customisable start page!
Click here to title your page!
iGoogle Alternative gadgets at DuckDuckGo
My Yahoo!
My Yahoo!

News 07-04-12
Ask Hackaday: Who wants to build a function generator? - Hack a Day
Are We Finally Outsmarting the MRSA Superbug?
FDA Approves First at-Home HIV Test
HowStuffWorks "20 Facts About the Statue of Liberty"
For Midwest Corn Crop, the Pressure Rises, Like the Heat - NYTimes.com
CERN Physicists May Have Discovered Higgs Boson Particle - NYTimes.com
Romney, in Shift, Says Health Care Mandate Is a Tax - NYTimes.com
European Parliament Rejects Anti-Piracy Treaty - NYTimes.com
Create A Collage From Your Own Photos
Kansas City MakerFaire: Greentechweekly’s coverage - Hack a Day
The most surprising game of Simon you’ve every played - Hack a Day
What Can We Do With the Higgs Boson? | Wired Science | Wired.com
HowStuffWorks Videos "Hypnosis Videos"
Fifa looks at electronic augmentation - Hack a Day
What's happening to iGoogle? - Web Search Help
DuckDuckGo
DuckDuckGo at DuckDuckGo

No comments: