Search My Blog

Monday, March 28, 2011

Poll: It is time to face facts and finally dump Windows XP | TechRepublic

Microsoft Windows

Poll: It is time to face facts and finally dump Windows XP

March 25, 2011, 8:34 AM PDT

Takeaway: Microsoft Windows XP is 10-year old technology; it is time to dump it for something better and safer. Whether you agree or disagree, take the poll to let us know.

Microsoft Windows XP was first released to manufacturers in August 2001. That means in just a few short months Windows XP will be a 10-year old operating system. It also means that XP is based on 10-year old technology, 10-year old interface design, and 10-year old security. To put it simply, when it comes to software product cycles, Windows XP is just plain ancient.

Yet, there are still a large number of knowledgeable information technology professionals clinging to this outdated operating system for their organization’s desktop client needs. Their reasoning is based on arguments that boil down to just a couple of factors:

  • It still works
  • Changing will cost time and money
  • Legacy applications

Now, I normally leave the opinion writing on TechRepublic to Toni Bowers, Jason Hiner, and Bill Detwiler, but as the host of the Windows Blog I think it is a topic that needs to be thoroughly discussed. I have received dozens of emails from IT pros telling me they have no plans to migrate away from Windows XP - ever. So I am going to offer my two cents and then ask you to comment in the discussion forum that follows.

Two cents

It is time to finally dump Microsoft Windows XP. There are no longer any truly compelling reasons to stick with XP, just excuses. Yes, it still works, but so does Morse Code, horse and buggies, and the IBM PC Jr. I have on display in the office. The Windows 7, Mac OS X, and Linux operating systems are all better operating systems than Windows XP. They are more secure, they take advantage of modern hardware and software technology, and they are closer to the beginning of their respective product life cycles.

And consider what we have seen in the past few years. Smartphones and tablet PCs are selling by the millions and the way your users will interact with the network has changed forever. For many, the idea of a 9-to-5 job is the stuff of nostalgia; we work when we work and we need to be connected at all times with any device that happens to be available. Not one of those devices is running Windows XP and with good reason.

And to the other factor often cited as a reason not to move away from Windows XP - cost - I would argue that the cost of not migrating is much greater. While there are certainly initial outlays of capital required to upgrade away from XP, the cost of not being able to provide users with the tools they’ll need to do their jobs during the next decade could be disastrous. Your competitors are equipping their workforce with modern always-on, always connected up-to-date operating system tools. How long will it take for that competitive advantage to kick in - a year, two, maybe three?

The last reason for sticking to Windows XP relates to legacy applications. This is the only semi-valid reason for resisting the migration. But it is one that must be overcome. Organizations cannot allow the presence of legacy applications to dictate the entire network infrastructure. Whether that means re-coding, developing a new application, or putting legacy applications in a virtual environment, some way to move past those applications and their limitations must be implemented.

Bottom line

The writing is on the wall. Microsoft wants you off Windows XP and will pull support in 2014.

Read More...
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/poll-it-is-time-to-face-facts-and-finally-dump-windows-xp/4043?tag=nl.e101

Bottom Line...
Why should we care about What MS Wants!? Most of us, the majority of the World... are Customers, not Employees of Microsoft. Now, Shall we talk about the Giant Penguin in the Room??? Yes, I agree... it's long past time to migrate away from Windows XP. I did this over Five Years ago, when I discovered Linux!:) I started with Blag Linux 5000, which is based on Red Hat's Fedora Linux. Then I started downloading other Free and Open Source Linux Distributions and trying them out. I have tried out about 50 Linux Distributions on CD and DVD and all it cost me was a little Time to Download and Burn them to a CD or DVD, Booth them up and see how they worked. Now a days, I usually just Boot up the ISO Images in Virtual Box and see how I like them. Then if I really like them I burn them to CD, DVD or a USB Stick. When Blag stopped being updated at Blag 90000, I went to on Debian for 2 years and then to Fedora 11. Now I am running Fedora 14 as my main Operating System and have decided that Fedora is my favorite OS of all time. I started with Windows 3.11 in 1992. And then went to Windows 98, the Blue Screen and Crash Queen of OS's! Until Windows Vista that is!:O I have never hated an operating system more than Vista. I think is the worst Operating System ever made:( I Reformatted the Vista System that I got in trade for some computer repair work that I did, with Fedora 13 and am now running Fedora 14 on that Box. I have no desire to even try Windows 7. With the lack os user control and the Planned Obsolescence Built into all Windows Operating Systems. I've had enough of WindBlows!:O I often Wonder Why would anyone who knows about all of the Free and Open Source Operating Systems and Software that can do what ever you or your Company needs. Which are out there and free to obtain, use and change to suite your needs, tie them selves to Operating systems that are Planned to Fail from the start!??? If you have no idea where or how to get started with Linux and Open Source Software. Or you just don't have time to do all of the Research that I have done for the past 5 years... I am available as a Linux Consultant and will be glad to help you get on a better and more cost effective path. You can find much Linux more info on my Blog at, http://donsdeals.blogspot.com/ Just e-mail me and let me know...

Don

No comments: