Search My Blog

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Grenadier's guide to High Voltage

Grenadier's guide to High Voltage

by grenadier

Grenadier\
loading...
i
This instructable is a guide to galvanic (not electrostatic) High Voltage sources. I have made sure to cover just about every one of them.

I'm going to be honest with you guys, I wrote this instructable for the laser cutter. However I have deeper motivations than "lolz im gunna cut some stuff"
It's a sad fact to face (well at least for me it is), but the electronics hobby is in decline in America, and there are nowhere near as many hobbyists as there used to be. Many kids wanted to make a crystal radio in the 20th century and a lot of them did. Many of them left it at that, but some kids went further and bought a transformer a couple triodes and components at the local store, then made a vacuum tube radio.  Often of those kids became electronics hobbyists, and a some of them even became electrical engineers.

That was truly the golden age of hobby electronics, but now most kids don't even know how a radio works let alone how to make one or any other circuit for that matter. Out of the 2500 people at my school, I'm the only one that even knows how a mosfet works (seriously!). I don't like that ratio, so I have made it my personal mission to get the electronics hobby booming again. Hopefully to the point where radioshack can actually start selling components again and not just phones and cameras. I intend to do this by getting kids and young adults interested in electronics again, and I have chosen to do this using 3 methods:

Method one will be to make electronics interesting again. Sure the electronic dice and radio kits are alright I suppose, but they sure didn't get me excited and they sure won't get the average x-box playing kid excited either. So I plan on selling interesting kits such as induction heaters and the like, and selling them as cheap as I can so the average kid can actually afford them! I'll need PCBs for these kits and I looked at a couple boardhouses; the prices are ridiculous! The only way to make the kits affordable to a kid is to make my own PCBs, and to make a whole bunch of them easily. The epilog will allow me to do that.

Method two is to provide tools to these kids at low prices. Sure they can always go and get one of those crapshack irons for $10, but honestly anyone who has used them knows they suck big time. I intend to sell tools such as temp controlled weller tipped irons at reasonable prices, hopefully in the range of $20. It can be done, but I'll need cases to house the electronics and the zing will allow me to make them.

Method three is to provide services to these new hobbyists such as case and PCB fabrication, and to do it at a low cost. We all know that PCB and part fab is rather pricey, but I intend to change that. I'll make it cheap enough that a child could afford it and make their projects look nice, and the zing will allow me to do both. My only power tool at the moment is a dremel, and although some may disagree with me I don't think that is good enough.

I don't intend to make much profit on this endeavor and any profit that's had will be used to develop new kits, and to buy a new laser tube when the one in the zing dies, because CO2 lasers do die. It's going to take a lot of effort on my part to accomplish this task, but I know that I can do it. I just need the the tools to do so...

Although if this contest is like the last one where voting is partially based on views, looking at the other entries I feel as if I might be on a fool's errand. We all know that the laws of physics state that something featuring titteez is going to get a lot more views than anything scientific...

Well I ask of you, please vote for me in this contest. You can even login with facebook if you don't have an instructables account. Please post this instructable on your blog or website, tumblr, twitter or facebook page, and please help me start my mission!

 
Remove these adsRemove these ads by Signing Up.
 

Step 1Table of Contents

Hallo thar
0) Introduction
1) TOC

Intro to HV
2) Alternating current
3) HV saftey

The Microwave Oven Transformer
4) What is the MOT?
5) Ballasting MOTs
6) Modifying MOTs
7) Finding MOTs
8) Things to do with MOTs

The Neon Sign Transformer
9) What is the NST?
10) More about iron NSTs
11) Putting NSTs in parallel
12) Secondary Ground Fault Interrupters
13) Depotting NSTs
14) Finding NSTs
15) Things to do with NSTs

The Oil Burner Ignition Transformer
16) What is the OBIT?
17) Finding OBITs

The Bug Zapper Transformer
18) What is the BZT?

The Potential Transformer
19) What is the PT?
20) More about PTs
21) PT secondary configurations
22) Sourcing PTs

The X-Ray Transformer
23) What is the XRT?
24) XRT preparation I
25) XRT preparation II
26) Finding XRTs
27) Things to do with an XRT

The Distribution Transformer
28) What is a Pole Pig?
29) Finding a Pole Pig

The Ignition coil
30) What is an Iggy coil?
31) Driving an Iggy coil
32) Finding an Iggy coil
33) Things to do with an Iggy

The Flyback Transformer
34) What is an FBT?
35) The DC FBT
36) Flyback Windings
37) The AC FBT
38) Removing evil windings
39) Driving an FBT - ZVS
40) Driving an FBT - Half Bridge
41) Finding FBTs
42) Things to do with an FBT

The Cockroft-Walton Multiplier
43) What is a CW multiplier?
44) Making a CW I
45) Making a CW II
46) Things to do with a CW

Diodes and Caps
47) Diodes and Rectification
48) Diode Ratings
49) Making HV diodes
50) Smoothing Capacitors
51) Making HV capacitors

More Voltage Boosters
52) Making a big CW
53) Marx generators

Powering your projects
54) Lead acid batteries
55) ATX power supplies
56) Variacs
57) Rewound MOTs

Misc
58) Measuring HV - Voltage
59) Measuring HV - Current
60) Making HV wire
61) Sourcing components
62) Addendum

Read More...
http://www.instructables.com/id/High-Voltage-1/

Grenadier's guide to High Voltage
High Voltage: How to cook your goose in 62 easy steps - Hack a Day
Grenadier's guide to High Voltage


Don

No comments: