Re: lsass.exe failed to initialize....
I was working on a system that was recently infected with the Vundo.trojan. The owner of the system said that after she ran CA and removed the malware her computer would no longer boot. She received the following error prior to the login screen: lsass.exe failed to initialize properly.
I booted the system with BartPE and opened regedit.
I imported the hive "C:\windows\system32\config\software"
I located the following key: Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
I renamed the string value "AppInit_DLLs" to "AppInit_DLLs.old"
I created a new string value called "AppInit_DLLs" with no entries.
I then unloaded the registry hive and rebooted.
This technique does not require BartPE, any offline registry editing tool should work. Also remember to backup the original C:\windows\system32\config directory before making changes.
If the issue was caused by malware, remember to boot into safe mode or the malicious entries may be added back into the registry when you login.
Refer to the following for additional information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986 (registry information)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545 (registry recovery)
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ (bartPE site)
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/peboot.htm (example of offline registry editing)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197571 (AppInit_Dlls Information)
I hope this helps someone else someday.
Go there Read All or Page on down to near the bottom of the page to get to this point...
- Windows XP services.exe failed to initialize
- services.exe - Google Search
- services.exe Windows process - What is it?
- services.exe - services - Process Information
- services.exe failed to initialize - Google Search
- Windows XP services.exe / lsass.exe application failed to initialize boot error
- Application failed to initialize properly
- lsass.exe failed to initialize.... - MajorGeeks Support Forums
- Langa Letter: XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option -- Windows XP Management
- Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: Slipstreaming Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2)
- How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting
- Adrynalyne's Self Help and Tweak Blog - Windows Live
- Help and Support
- Windows registry information for advanced users
- Working with the AppInit_DLLs registry value
- How to edit the registry offline using BartPE boot CD ?
- Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD