What is Firebird
Firebird is a powerful, open-source relational database system, with high performance and extensive support for powerful SQL features with close adherence to the SQL standards. Whether you're developing a small program or a large enterprise information system, Firebird is the database for you. Take a look at the Case Studies to get an impression of other people using Firebird.
For more information on Firebird and its features, go to the About Firebird section.
Downloading and Installing
Firebird is available for a large number of platforms, including Windows, Linux and MacOS X. You can get the installer for your platform at the download area of this site. Firebird is also available in the package manager of many Linux distributions.
Firebird comes in a number of flavors: Classic, SuperClassic and SuperServer. If you are unsure which version to download or install, make sure you consult 'Firebird 2.5 Quick Start Guide: Classic, SuperClassic or Superserver?'. For the installation itself, the 'Firebird 2.5 Quick Start Guide: Installing Firebird' provides a good starting point.
More InformationYou may find the basic information describing the key points of Firebird in the 'Get to Know Firebird in 2 minutes' and 'Firebird Facts' white papers. It's also worth looking at the 'Firebird in the Enterprise' white paper.
For a more detailed information, the 'Firebird 2.5 Quick Start Guide' is a good introduction to the configuration and management of Firebird, administration of users and database, and connecting and using databases. More in-depth documentation and reference manuals on Firebird are available from the documentation section.
Firebird comes with a number of powerful command-line tools to administer the database, but does not include a GUI interface. Fortunately, third-party GUI administration tools are available.
Looks interesting... I may go back and learn more about Firebird...
- Firebird is a powerful open-source relational database system
- Firebird: The true open source relational database for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and more
- Firebird: Downloads
- Firebird: Documentation
- Firebird: Community
- Firebird: Support
- News 10-02-11
- Clonezilla Live 1.2.10-14 Stable Released, Download Now - Softpedia
- Software patents – a protection racket? | Linux User
- Mozilla Paladin project is developing Gladius, a 3D game engine for web browsers – Video Games Reviews, Cheats | Geek.com
- How to build your own cat door - Hack a Day
- Robotic arm follows the movements of your own limbs - Hack a Day
- Nobel prizes: Asian scientists set to topple America's run of wins | Science | The Observer
- [Clement] sees the cargo bike and raises a bicycle cargo trailer - Hack a Day
- Freeware Game Of The Week (The Suffering)
- Wallpaper of the Week (Milky Way Arch)
- HowStuffWorks "5 Most Coveted Offshore Petroleum Reserves"
- Lawmakers Want to End Tax Breaks, if They Can Agree What They Are - NYTimes.com
- Download Clonezilla LiveCD 1.2.10-14 for Linux - A Debian-based Live CD with software that enables users to clone hard disks - Softpedia
- WiFi theremin - Hack a Day
- iTWire - WiFi password cracking with ATI and NVIDIA
- Updated Debian GNU/Linux 5.0: 5.0.9 released
- List of Linux distributions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia