Search My Blog

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Changing Run Levels in Fedora at Boot Time...

Fedora Linux, Changing Runlevels at Boot Time

Changing to Run Level 3 (Command Line Mode) in the Grub1 Boot Menu: Here is where I was stumped for a minute. I knew I had done this before and didn't have to type out all of this long ro root=... stuff. That would be different in every system and you would have to know that about your system!:O So, I just took each step at a time and it came back to me:) Boot your Fedora System and start hitting a key after your Bios info starts going by. Don't wait too long or you will miss your chance if your Fedora grub boot loader is set to the default, about 3 seconds. I usually set mine to 10 or 15 Seconds, for Duel Boot Systems. But this is a brand new install and I am in the process of setting it up with all of my Apps from my Previous Fedora 14 System. That's actually how I broke my X11, this time. I ran my Fedora Apps List - installation .sh script and rebooted. I saw a few updates and never looked or thought that one might be for the X11 Video Driver!:O Anyway... As your machine is booting up, I like to hit the Down Arrows Key (Repeatedly) and when the Boot Choices Menu Comes up. Then you can follow the instructions on the grub Boot menu. Hit e to Edit and then just add a Space and 3 at the end of the Long line that looks like your boot kernel (ro root=...). It was the second line in my Fedora 14 System. That's all there is to it. Then hit b for Boot and your System will Boot into the Command Line. Log in as root or your regular user name, depending on what you need to do. If you are going to work with your /etcx11.conf file or install a new Video Driver. Then you will need to have root privileges. I have a couple more Posts on my Blog on how to Fix a Broken X11 GUI and install a Proprietary ATI Video Driver and I think there's one on Nvidia Drivers too. You can search my blog for others or just try this procedure with your Brand of Driver.

For Grub2, check out this Post... 

GRUB2 runlevel 3 – Howto Change runlevel on GRUB2


And here's some more in depth info that I found on Changing the Run Level in Fedora at Boot Time. So that you can for instance... change to run level 3 to get into the Command line, so that you can recover a Broken (buy some Video Card Update or an App installation) X11 Server (The GUI Interface, that you know and love to work in, while using your computer). I'll paste the info below...  

Don

Changing Runlevels at Boot Time


Under Fedora, it is possible to change the default runlevel at boot time.
To change the runlevel of a single boot session, use the following instructions:

    When the GRUB menu bypass screen appears at boot time, press any key to enter the GRUB menu (within the first three seconds).
    Press the a key to append to the kernel command.
    Add a space and a runlevel number, at the end of the boot options line to boot to the desired runlevel. For example, the following entry would initiate a boot process into runlevel 3 (you will get the Command Line)...

    grub append> ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet 3     

You can leave out "guiet" if you like. I usually just use a space and a 3. To get into the Command Line...

(Red on to see a simpler way, below)

Go there...
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html/Installation_Guide/s1-grub-runlevels.html


More info on Booting to Run Level 3 in grub...

BOOTING IN RUNLEVEL 3 ( With Grub )

There are occasions you want to boot in non-graphical mode ( in runlevel 3 ) for troubleshooting because the system fails to boot the usual way, X fails to start or some module it fails to load.

Here is how you do it when Grub is your boot loader:

 At the grub boot menu press the E key. Next select the Distro you want to boot and press the E key again. Now select the line with "kernel /boot/vmlinuz" and hit the E key one more time. Now type a space and the number 3 at the end of that line, so for example from:

QUOTE  kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17 ro root=/dev/hda6

Change to...

QUOTE kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17 ro root=/dev/hda6 3

Finally press the B key (or follow instructions in your version of grub for booting after changes) and your distro will boot in runlevel 3

NOTE: Runlevel 3 does not work in Ubuntu . . . . use the "rescue mode" you see in the Ubuntu boot menu.

NOTE 2: In recent Mandriva versions Grub has a graphical menu where you can press F2 to edit boot options . . . simply add the number 3 and press the Enter key to boot in runlevel 3.

Bruno -- Jun 03 2007 -- (his site links in grey area below)

Tips Linux Explorers   All Things Linux Forum   Great Linux Links   LinuxClues.com   Hometown   Email 

Go there...
http://www.brunolinux.com/05-Configuring_Your_System/Grub_boot_runlevel-3.html


Here are some Related Links...

Fedora Linux Grub1 and Grub2 Changing Runlevels at Boot Time
Fedora Linux Grub2 Changing Runlevels at Boot Time - Google Custom Search on my Blog
DonsDeals: Fedora Linux, Changing Runlevels at Boot Time
DonsDeals: Fedora 13 Booting into Single-User Mode
DonsDeals: How To: Install ATI Catalyst (fglrx) Drivers - I fixed my Broken ATI Driver this way too.
DonsDeals: Changing Run Levels in Fedora at Boot Time...
E.8. Changing Runlevels at Boot Time
How to Change Runlevels — Fedora Unity Project
GRUB2 runlevel 3 – Howto Change runlevel on GRUB2
Fedora Linux Grub2 Changing Runlevels at Boot Time - Google Search



How To: Install ATI Catalyst (fglrx) Drivers - I fixed my Broken ATI Driver this way too.
http://donsdeals.blogspot.com/2011/04/how-to-install-ati-catalyst-fglrx.html

Fedora 12 Research on Fixing Broken GUI after installing Nvidia Graphics Driver by Uninstalling
http://donsdeals.blogspot.com/2010/05/fedora-12-research-on-fixing-broken-gui.html

run level 3 - Search on my Blog, use the Google Search in the Top Middle of my Pages...
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-2221791110207294%3A3qlpn0jxpl8&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=fedora+14+no+gui&sa=Search&siteurl=donsdeals.blogspot.com%2F2011%2F06%2Fremember-this-command-alsamixer.html

nvidia - Sarch on my Blog...
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-2221791110207294%3A3qlpn0jxpl8&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=fedora+14+no+gui&sa=Search&siteurl=donsdeals.blogspot.com%2F2011%2F06%2Fremember-this-command-alsamixer.html

Fedora fixing Broken X11 GUI and Changing Run Level to 3 Command Line at Boot
Google Custom Search
DonsDeals: Fedora 12 Research on Fixing Broken GUI after installing Nvidia Graphics Driver by Uninstalling
DonsDeals: Fedora Linux, Changing Runlevels at Boot Time
DonsDeals: How To: Install ATI Catalyst (fglrx) Drivers - I fixed my Broken ATI Driver this way too.

 

No comments: