Search My Blog

Friday, September 2, 2011

Lost System Restore - Sharky Forums - windows MachineGuid.txt

Windows MachineGuid.txt

The system restore uses a machine ID. So if you copy your system partition to another hard disk, will eventually change you machine ID. All you need is to change the old machine ID for a new one in the system32/restore. Open the MachineGuID.txt, it contains the old ID. It is the same found in the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/SystemRestore/Cfg/Machineguid. Run the srdiag.exe in the restore folder, it´ll create several logs. Open the SR-ChgLog.LOG and look for the new ID in the first line e.g:

ChangeLog Enumeration for Drive [C:\] Volume \\?\Volume{ff512663-5053-11d9-bbee-00085417a736} \

Pick this new ID and place it in the MachineGuID.txt, deleting the old one. Also change in the Machineguid registry key. Reboot the system and everything should be fine!


Excerpt from this Forum Page, Lost System Restore - Sharky Forums...

Windows MachineGuid.txt
windows machineguid.txt - Google Search
Lost System Restore - Sharky Forums
[SOLVED] a real problem with system restore - Tech Support Forum

No comments: