Re: Computer virus help!
Ok, here's some Windows File Recovery Live Boot OS's and Software that I have used and some links to several others too...
Hirens Boot CD or USB Stick with MiniXP Recovery has allot of great tools for file recovery. Some have a Graphic Interface (GUI) and some are Command Line Only. It should be easy for Windows users to figure out. Since it runs a Live Mine Windows XP System. You can Access your Windows HD with it to recover files and do many other things was well. There may be some issues with Win7 Systems though. You'd just have to download it. Burn it to CD or put on a USB Stick.
CD, ISO File Burning Apps here...
CDBurnerXP is a free application to burn CDs and DVDs, including Blu-Ray and HD-DVDs. It also includes the feature to burn and create ISOs, as well as a multilingual interface. Everyone, even companies, can use it for free. It does not include adware or similar malicious components.
InfraRecorder is a free CD/DVD burning solution for Microsoft Windows. It offers a wide range of powerful features; all through an easy to use application interface and Windows Explorer integration.
InfraRecorder is released under GPL version 3.
- Create custom data, audio and mixed-mode projects and record them to physical discs as well as disc images.
- Supports recording to dual-layer DVDs.
- Blank (erase) rewritable discs using four different methods.
- Record disc images (ISO and BIN/CUE).
- Fixate discs (write lead-out information to prevent further data from being added to the disc).
- Scan the SCSI/IDE bus for devices and collect information about their capabilities.
- Create disc copies, on the fly and using a temporary disc image.
- Import session data from multi-session discs and add more sessions to them.
- Display disc information.
- Save audio and data tracks to files (.wav, .wma, .ogg, .mp3 and .iso).
Best Free CD / DVD Burning SoftwareUpdated Tue, 11/09/2010 - 23:12 by
USB instructions here, http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd-on-usb-disk.
Then Boot it up to try it out... It's a great Tool, I have use it allot on WinXP Systems...
Here's a couple of the File Recovery Apps that comes on Hirens Boot CD. You can download it and run it on your Windows System. But, you will have better results when running from a Live CD or USB and not running your OS from the HD that you are trying to recovery files from...
I haven't used this one. But it would be good for Recovering a whole Drive - HD. But you would need another empty Drive - HD or Partition to Copy the entire contents of your existing drive to. I thing that this would overwrite everything on the Drive that you Copy the Files to. So, Be Careful with this one and read the Help Files first...
I have used this one allot too. It has many great Apps for Windows Recovery and more...
UBCD4Win is a bootable recovery CD that contains software used for repairing, restoring, or diagnosing almost any computer problem. Our goal is to be the most complete and easy to use free computer diagnostic tool. Almost all software included in UBCD4Win are freeware utilities for Windows®.Some of the tools included are "free for personal use" copies so users need to respect these licenses. A few of the tools included in UBCD4Win are paid for and licensed software owned by UBCD4win.
Recuva is simple to use, effective, and can be used to recover lost files. Recuva
File Recovery. Recuva Accidentally deleted an important file? Lost something important when your computer crashed? No problem! Recuva recovers files deleted from your Windows computer, Recycle Bin, digital camera card, or MP3 player. And it's free!
http://www.piriform.com/recuva I can't remember if it can Recover Files after a Reformat. But, it would be good for the situations mentioned above. More info on my Blog about Recuva and more Windows Freeware too here... http://donsdeals.blogspot.com/2011/08/best-free-windows-7-vista-64-bit.html
Here's a couple of Windows File Recovery Apps that I haven't used. But look good...
NTFS Recovery Wizard. The Live Preview feature ensures your ability to recover a given file or document by producing a complete preview of that file or document. And we aren’t talking about that ‘hex’ preview of random numbers and symbols! NTFS Recovery Wizard shows your Word documents as Word documents, and your digital images as viewable pictures to let you examine the quality of the recovery before you pay a cent.
Recover NTFS Disks with a Wizard
Fix hard drive and file system corruption by yourself with a simple, easy to use wizard! Emptied Windows Recycle Bin? Accidentally formatted a disk? Tried using Windows checkdisk on a damaged disk? No need to bring your hard drive to a data recovery lab! Save time and money and use NTFS Recovery Wizard to recover your data and get a perfectly working disk completely automatically.
I have used TestDisk allot and it has Saved my OS's Several Times!:)
TestDisk is powerful free data recovery software! It was primarily designed to help recover lost partitions and/or make non-booting disks bootable again when these symptoms are caused by faulty software, certain types of viruses or human error (such as accidentally deleting a Partition Table). Partition table recovery using TestDisk is really easy.
- Fix partition table, recover deleted partition
- Recover FAT32 boot sector from its backup
- Rebuild FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 boot sector
- Fix FAT tables
- Rebuild NTFS boot sector
- Recover NTFS boot sector from its backup
- Fix MFT using MFT mirror
- Locate ext2/ext3/ext4 Backup SuperBlock
- Undelete files from FAT, exFAT, NTFS and ext2 filesystem
- Copy files from deleted FAT, exFAT, NTFS and ext2/ext3/ext4 partitions.
TestDisk has features for both novices and experts. For those who know little or nothing about data recovery techniques, TestDisk can be used to collect detailed information about a non-booting drive which can then be sent to a tech for further analysis. Those more familiar with such procedures should find TestDisk a handy tool in performing onsite recovery.
TestDisk can run under
- DOS (either real or in a Windows 9x DOS-box),
- Windows (NT4, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, 2008, Windows 7 (x86 & x64),
- FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD,
- SunOS and
- MacOS X
Download binary executables and source files for DOS, Win32, MacOSX and Linux.Read More...
Five Best Free Data Recovery Tools
The best way to recover from unexpected data loss is to be properly prepared. With one of the following tools on hand, you'll always be ready to save your data from the Reaper.
Read More... (It talks about TestDisk, Recuva, PhotoRec, which I have used and several more)
The Automatic Windows 7 File Backup That You Didn't Know You Had
Windows 7 and certain editions of Windows Vista come with an automatic file and folder backup feature called "Previous Versions" that many PC users don't seem to know about. Individual data file and folder backups are created by System Restore or by Windows Backup. With the default setting for System Restore, this means monitored files are backed up once a day. To be more precise, records called "shadow copies" are created. These keep track of any changes that have occurred for files and folders.
More useful Windows System Tools...
Added Disk benchmarking!
October 24, 2011
Added Firefox 8.0 support and better secure deletion!
October 18, 2011
Added TCP connections and Hard Disk features.
- File and System Recovery for Windows
- DonsDeals: avast! Rescue Disc Review & Rating | PCMag.com
- DonsDeals: Create WinPE based free backup software bootable CD to backup hard drive disk system partition, backup data and also for disaster recovery.
- DonsDeals: Best Free Windows 7 / Vista 64 bit Software
- DonsDeals: SystemRescueCd
- DonsDeals: Probably the Best Free Security List in the World
- DonsDeals: TestDisk - CGSecurity
- DonsDeals: SARDU - Multiboot maker - It can build a Custom Rescue CD-DVD or USB Image for you.
- PC Inspector - kostenlose Software für die Datenrettung von CONVAR - Die Datenretter.
- CD repair tool - Recovery Toolbox for CD
- Recovering Windows XP using the Recovery Console
- How to install and use the Windows XP Recovery Console
- Norton Rescue Tools
- recuva - Google Search
- Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download
- DonsDeals: June 2009
- I Bought this one, years ago and it is good, but only works on 1PC - Data Recovery Software and Undelete from R-TT
- DonsDeals: Uncovering Windows 7's 'GodMode' | Tech News on ZDNet
- DonsDeals: How to Write ISO Files to CD or DVD
- Reset User Account Password - Vista Forums
- Easiest Way to Recover XP and Vista Product Key from Dead or Unbootable Windows | Raymond.CC Blog
- UBCD for Windows
- DonsDeals: Mondo Rescue - GPL disaster recovery solution
- DonsDeals: Relax & Recover
- Relax & Recover
- hirens boot cd - Google Search
- Hiren's BootCD 11.0 - www.hiren.info
- Downloads » Freeware Tools » Page 1 - www.hiren.info
- Download Hiren’s BootCD 14.0 | HBCD Fan & Discussion Platform
- Hiren and Pankaj's Homepage » www.hiren.info
- UBCD for Windows
- Piriform - Download CCleaner, Defraggler, Recuva, Speccy - Millions of users worldwide!
- DonsDeals: NirSoft - freeware utilities: password recovery, system utilities, desktop utilities
- DonsDeals: FOG is a Linux-based, free and open source computer imaging solution for Windows XP, Vista and 7.
- DonsDeals: services.exe Windows process - What is it?
- DonsDeals: lsass.exe Windows process - What is it?
- DonsDeals: Free Antivirus for Windows - Open source GPL virus scanner ( I use this in my WinXP Now)
- DonsDeals: Clonezilla (I use this to make Partition Backups of my Systems)
- DonsDeals: Make CD-ROM Recovery (mkCDrec)
- DonsDeals: ISO Recorder v 2 and CDR Tools 2.0.1
- DonsDeals: Clonezilla How Too's
- InfraRecorder » Downloads
- Windows 7 - Microsoft Windows
- Google Custom Search
- DonsDeals: CDBurnerXP: Free CD and DVD burning software
- DonsDeals: The Automatic Windows 7 File Backup That You Didn’t Know You Had
- DonsDeals: Best Free CD / DVD Burning Software
- NTFS Recovery, NTFS Recovery Wizard recover NTFS hard drives and partitions
- NTFS Data Recovery NTFS Unformat
- NTFS Data Recovery Software. BootDisk, Freeware NTFS DOS and more...
- ntfs recovery open source - Google Search
- Five Best Free Data Recovery Tools
- Download file_recovery.exe Free
- Restore accidentally deleted files from FAT and NTFS volumes
- Download ntfsrecovery.exe Free