Search My Blog

Monday, April 11, 2011

Chromium - The Chromium Projects

Chromium (the Open Source Web Browser, not the Pretty Shiny metal!;) 

Intro...
I have been getting more and more Disappointed with my Favorite Web Browser (Firefox). With all of the trouble I have been having with Firefox using 50% to 80% of my Processing Power every time it hits a certain type of Flash Video or Web App. I learned about this through allot of research. Search my Blog or Google to find out more on the Flash Problems. And there's now way to tell when this will happen. It all depends on which version of Flash a Site uses and which Version of the Flash Player you have on your machine as to how much trouble you will have. I am running Fedora 14 Linux, but this problem has been reported in Windows and other Operating Systems too. Most of the time, for me, if you give Firefox (or actually my average 1.8Ghz Core 2 Processor) 20 to 40 seconds it will Catch Up and start working again. But not always. And sometimes the whole System Freezes and I have to Do a Hard Shutdown (hold in the Power Button until the Computer Shuts Down) and Boot Up again. This is a Royal Pain and can cause Data Loss as well!:O I have Tried Google Chrome and it does quite a bit better with Flash. But I hate they way it is laid out and miss the lack of features which I have grown to know and love in Firefox over the past 6 or so years. I hate they way you can't double click in the Address Bar in Chrome to select and copy a URL to Paste into an e-mail. I hate the Chrome doesn't have e-mail this Page Link built into the Browser. And No I don't like the the e-mail this Chrome Add-on either. Things are just laid out to Weird for me and I spend too much time finding the things I want to do in Chrome. Yes, it's true, "you can't teach an old dog, new tricks";) I have recently tried Opera again, tried it back in my WinXP Days and it didn't stick with me then. And now, it acts pretty much the same as Firefox with Flash and it Crashes or just wont Play quit a bit of stuff on the Web these days. I wouldn't use Internet Explored even if it would run on Linux (it won't run even in Wine). So, I'm still using Firefox, the browser that I have grown to love over all of these years. Hoping that the next update will fix all of this Flash Crap! Really that would be up to the makers of Flash and they don't seem to care at all... But, then today I read this article, Goodbye Firefox. Hello Chromium. By Jason Hiner, it's at... http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/hiner/goodbye-firefox-hello-chromium/8085?tag=nl.e101 And according to Jason, Firefox 4 is not any better (I'm running Firefox 3.6.16 now). I didn't notice a mention of what OS Jason is running Chromium on. But sense he mentions using the Chromium Updater, which I found out is Windows Only. I'm thinking he is running Windows. I'm not, and I don't do Windows any More!;) I'm running Fedora 14 on this Machine and Fedora is my Favorite OS of all time!:) I remembered Chromium, the Browser he is switching to... But I couldn't remember why I didn't have it on my machine. I love Linux and have used Fedora and Debian and tried out many different Distros over the past 6 years. But, I don't like compiling and having to do long drawn out tasks in the Command Line. So, I probably still wont be installing Chromium any time soon. Now, if the developers would come up with an RPM, a Deb or even a version that can just run after just unzipping (expanding the archive). Then I would give it a try. But, it looks like too much trouble to me right now!:O Especially since I figure it will work just like Google Chrome... 

Update 04-19-11... I knew I had tried Chromium before, but just couldn't remember when or in which OS. Silly Me!:O It is the Default Web Browser in... ArtistX is a free live GNU/Linux DVD which turns a common computer into a full multimedia production studio. I have ArtistX installed on one of my other Machines and use it as a Backup OS for that System. I built my first ArtistX System from Debain Etch-in-a-half and ran it as my main OS for 2 years, before comming back to Fedora. I like allot of the Apps in ArtistX and like Debian allot too. But, the new version of ArtistX is based on Ubuntu, which I don't like. I hate going through all of the Road Blocks to getting root user privelages. Ubuntu reminds me allot of WindBlows Vista in that respect!:O I do like that it was easy to get my nVidea CVideo Card working with the S-Video Cable out to my TV though and I use it sometime to watch TV Shows from the Web on my old 1980's TV. I have been planning on Installing Debian 6 on that System and then installing all of the Apps from ArtistX to it. I haven't got around to doing that yet and I just plum forgot that Chromium was even on there. It does indeed look, work and feel just like Google Chrome. I use Firefox for all of my Web Browsing on all of my Systems, uness I come across some Flash or Java that just Wont Work in Firefox. So, that's why I forgot all about Chromium being in my very own ArtistX System;) That's my Story and I'm sticking to it! Well, unless I forget the Story again!;) 

Anyway... Maybe you don't mind doing a long drawn out installation in the Command Line. If So, then here's the info on Getting and Installing Chromium...

Don

Chromium is an open-source browser project that aims to build a safer, faster, and more stable way for all Internet users to experience the web. This site contains design documents, architecture overviews, testing information, and more to help you learn to build and work with the Chromium source code.

Learn how to

Other important links


Read More...
http://www.chromium.org/Home

For Developers‎ > ‎How-Tos‎ > ‎

Get the Code

The Chromium codebase consists of hundreds of thousands of files, which means that a checkout straight from the Subversion (SVN) repository can take a long time. To speed up the process, we have provided a tarball that you can use to bootstrap the download. Alternatively, you can skip the tarball and download straight from SVN (not recommended). If you know what you're doing, you can alternatively check out the source from git.

Note: There is no advantage to checking out straight from SVN. The tarball includes SVN directories so that after you unpack the tarball, you can get up to the latest revision by using gclient sync.

If you just want to see the code without checking it out, you can browse SVN or use Google Code Search for Chromium.

If you only want to look at the source code on your own machine, you'll need at least 1.6 GB of hard drive space available. (Somewhat less for Linux, since it already has some of the dependencies installed.) If you want to build it, you will need just under 10 GB of space, including all the object files and executables.

Bootstrap using the tarball

Read More...
http://dev.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/get-the-code


Chromium Web Browser
Goodbye Firefox. Hello Chromium. | TechRepublic
Chromium - The Chromium Projects
Chromium Updater
Chromium - Google Search
The Chromium Projects
Chromium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chromium OS - The Chromium Projects
Get the Code - The Chromium Projects
Index of /f/chromium/snapshots/chromium-rel-xp
Download Chromium 12.0.730.0 Free - Open source web browser for a safer, faster, and more stable way to experience de Internet - Softpedia
Chromium download linux - Google Search
ArtistX is a free live GNU/Linux DVD which turns a common computer into a full multimedia production studio
artistx - Google Search
artistx - Google Search
DistroWatch.com: ArtistX
Download
Screenshots
ArtistX | freshmeat.net
ArtistX - Softpedia
ArtistX - Audio Graphic Video Multimedia Linux
DonsDeals: Fwd: ArtistX 0.9 and Ubuntu HowTo Create and Save a list of installed packages to a file...
DonsDeals: Chromium - The Chromium Projects


Don

No comments: