Search My Blog

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Don's Favorite Fedora Apps...

Don's favorite Fedora Apps and Dependency's... These are my Fedora 13 and 14 Apps, Install lists. You can scan over the lists to get the idea of all the Apps that will be installed. They include everything from Open Office to Audio Video Editing Apps, Image Editing. Basically, if More's Better... then Too much is Just Right!;) Really, I think allot of AV Computer Geeks like me would like to have these Apps on their System. But installing them takes allot of time and research too. I have been running Fedora since Fedora 5  in about 2005. And have spent years installing and testing Apps in Linux OS's. So, I would like to share what I have learned wit your. I've worked with Mostly Fedora and Debian Based OS's. These files will help you install all of these Apps in Fedora 13 and 14. All in one Terminal Session. They wont all work for reasons unknown to me. Perhaps the available version numbers or differences in the "install file" name and the listed name in the Repositories. But this will install 90 to 98% of the Apps in the list. Saving you allot of time and trouble. If you want all of these Apps that is... You can either copy and paste the content of the text file into your Terminal after you su in to root mode. This Yum install list will take some time to finish running, downloading and installing all of the Apps. Maybe up to an hour or two. So, be patient. Don't disturb it, even if it looks like it is doing nothing. It will finally finish and you will see the Output of the installs, with all of the things that worked or didn't work for some reason. Apps that are already on your System will be updated too. Or you can run the sh script file in the Terminal. Either way will work. This method seems to work a little faster. Since you don't have to wait for all the text to paste into the Terminal window. Which may take 5 to 10 minutes or so, to finish pasting in there. I like to open the .sh (shell script) file by right clicking on it in Krusader, while in "Krusader root mode". Although this method doesn't always work for some reason. Or at least I have done that before. I swear it worked in another system. But, I tried it in the one I'm Setting up now and the run option was not there and I couldn't get it to work by selecting other and then Terminal either. Either way, by Right Clicking or by working in the Terminal. You will need to do this... Before you run the install Script. You will need to make sure that the Script file (".sh") has been made Executable on your System. You can do this in Krusader "root" mode by Right Clicking on the ".sh" file and selecting Properties. Then select Permissions and check the box at the bottom, that says "is executable". Then you can Run the Script. Then, type this in my Terminal, in "root" mode, (example file name) "./Fedora-14-Yum-installed-apps-list-yum-Install-list-09-17-12.sh" (you can Right Click and copy and pasted the long file name into the Terminal Window). I do this from within Krusader root mode. Opened Terminal Window in that directory with "Tools - Start Terminal Here" and ran it from there. All went well, even though there was one error about a missing directory at the start. Most of the apps were already installed and yum checked for updates on them.

You may be able to run it in from another App like Nautilus or Thunar in normal user mode and then su into root when prompted in the Terminal. But I can't remember now if that will work or not. But, you can get "root" Prialages in Thunar by Opening it up from within the Terminal by typing "thunar", after you "su" int "root" mode. Then you can use the open Terminal Window Here to open the Terminal in the Directory that your install Script is located.

Or you can open up a Terminal and su into root before you start. Then cd to the dir where you saved the file and run the .sh script or copy the text into the Terminal Window. I don't like to do all that command line typing my self. I'm not that accurate of a typer.


The Text install file just starts with... 

"yum -y install --skip-broken" (without the ") And leave a space before you start your apps list. The "-y install --skip-broken" is the key to making it all work. When there are any errors, "-y install --skip-broken" answers Yes and Skip Broken to everything and allows the Rest of your Apps to go on Installing. Fedora can handle this pretty well. But, Debain wont even let you use a "--skip-broken" Command. I know, cause I tired and then Read up on it!:O That's all you actually need to add to an Apps list to make it install all the Apps in Your List, in the Terminal. That and making sure all of the Apps in the list each have one space and no Tabs, Returns or any other special or extra characters in the list. Just the App names and version numbers if they are there in the Install List.

And the sh script starts with...


Code:
#!/bin/bash
# init
yum -y install --skip-broken (and then add the apps that you want to install, separated with a Space... just like that on separate rows.)

I Use to make these lists by using the feature in FSlint to find all of the installed Packages. I removed the /home/user parameter and add just / to search for all Apps on my System. Then I save the results with the file extension of ".csv" or ".txt" will work too. To delete all of the extra numbers in the list (these will mess up your installs and cause errors in yum). Using FSlint worked, Ok.

But, I found a much better way to get a List of all of the Installed Apps in a Fedora System, by using some Yum Commands in the Terminal. This info is in a Separate article, here...
http://donsdeals.blogspot.com/2010/12/this-post-is-follow-up-to-my-previous.html

After I make my "Yum Installed Apps List"... 

Then, I open the ".cvs" file in Open Office Calc or Libre Office (choose import and use the default settings or add what works best for you). Or ".txt" files will work too. But, you will have to Open the ".txt" file from within Krusader by Right Clicking on the file and Opening as Open Office Calc file. When Opening it with Calc (choose import and use the default settings or add what works best for you). This makes the extra numbers show up in a column all their own. Just Select and Delete the second, third and so on... columns on the right side, until you get rid of everything that is to the Right of the first Column. Keep the Column with all of the App Names. Don't use the "." during import. This would separate the version numbers from the App names. And they probably do need to stay for allot of the Apps. Then save a copy of this file as a .txt file. Then I open the .txt file up in Open Office Writer, so that I can quickly delete all of the extra caricatures that will stop the installations. Such as ", ( ) and Tabs, Hard and Soft Returns. I use the "Find and Replace' function to get rid of all of these. I find and replace all of the " and replace them with a Space. Then I find and Replace , ) etc and replace them with nothing. I do this first. Then I select more options in find and replace and search for $ as a "Regular Expression". This finds all of the "Returns" (next line entries). If you have done this in the order that I do. Then you can replace the $ (returns) with nothing. Then you may need to Find and Replace any two Spaces together with One Space. This will get rid of all of the unwanted Spaces, Returns and Unwanted Characters. Well, most all of em, that is. After I'm done with the file in Open Office. I Often still have a few Returns left that I just can't get rid of the "easy way". So, I open up the file in a good Plain Text Editor. I like using Kwrite (the default if you open from within Krusader) now, because it defaults to showing the text in on long line, without "Dynamic Word Wrap". This makes it easy to manually delete the rest of the Returns. Any text on the next line has a Return at the end of the previous line in the Window. I us the "Home" and "End" keys on my keyboard to get around much faster. Remember the "Good ol Days", when you actually used all the keys on your keyboard to operate a Computer!:) Well, I just barely do;) Take care when removing and replacing not to redo the same operation, like adding a space and ending up with more than one space between App Names. After I have the file cleaned up, leaving only one space between each App Name, including the version number. I'm ready to make my Install Script or Install Text File (to copy and paste into the Terminal). And do my Installs.

So, if you would rather just use my Install List files instead of copying and pasting to make your own. I put a couple of them up on my Web server for you to Download. Here are the links.

Before you use these files...  I found a better way to get a full list of all installed apps from Yum. From this article, List installed packages with YUM. So, go here and Read my Updated Post on this... http://donsdeals.blogspot.com/2010/12/this-post-is-follow-up-to-my-previous.html

Here are my Yum Install Scripts and Apps Install Lists...

Left Clicking on the ".sh" file will start the downloading action or Right Click and Save As if you prefer. And for the ".txt" Files. Left Clicking will show the  Text file in a browser window and "Right Click - Save As" if you want to download the file.

http://bishopco.homeip.net/Don-Fedora-Yum-Apps-install-lists/Fedora-14-Yum-installed-apps-list-yum-Install-list-09-17-12.sh

http://bishopco.homeip.net/Don-Fedora-Yum-Apps-install-lists/Fedora-14-Yum-installed-apps-list-yum-Install-list-09-17-12.txt

http://bishopco.homeip.net/Don-Fedora-Yum-Apps-install-lists/Fedora-13-Apps-yum-install-list-12-09-10.sh

http://bishopco.homeip.net/Don-Fedora-Yum-Apps-install-lists/Fedora-13-Apps-yum-install-list-12-09-10.txt



Here is a link to the whole Directory, that contains my "Yum Install Files". You can Right Click and Save the Files from here too...
http://bishopco.homeip.net/Don-Fedora-Yum-Apps-install-lists/

More info here... Fedora, using Yum and --skip-broken to install Don's Favorite Fedora Apps

DonsDeals: Don's favorite Fedora Apps...
DonsDeals: List installed packages with YUM
DonsDeals: Using Yum --SkipBroken

Here's some links to helpful pages on using the Find and Replace Features in Open Office...


Finding and Replacing Paragraph Returns and Tabs
http://openoffice.blogs.com/openoffice/2005/12/finding_and_rep.html

Fantastic OpenOffice.org Writer extension for searching and replacing carriage returns (two in a row, etc.) with regular expressions, plus much much more. (I just found this new one today while reviewing the above page on finding and replacing. I installed it and it works great. The descriptions in the drop down list are not the names I am use to for the functions though. Still a very good add-on for Open Office.
http://openoffice.blogs.com/openoffice/2010/07/fantastic-openofficeorg-writer-extension-for-searching-and-replacing-carriage-returns-two-in-a-row-e.html

Alternative dialog Find & Replace for Write
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/AltSearch

While I'm at it... here's another good Open Office add on Extension...
Add a Grammar Checker to OpenOffice.org using the After the Deadline Extension
http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Productivity-Sauce-Dmitri-s-open-source-blend-of-productive-computing/Add-a-Grammar-Checker-to-OpenOffice.org-using-the-After-the-Deadline-Extension

Opening CSV or Text Files as Calc Spreadsheets--and Vice Versa
http://openoffice.blogs.com/openoffice/2006/02/opening_csv_or_.html


Don

No comments: