Search My Blog

Monday, August 16, 2010

Build, Hack and sometimes Fail: Inject water into your printer to get that page printed.

Inject water into your printer to get that page printed.

I found an HP Deskjet D2460 that one of my neighbors threw out. I hooked it up to my Ubuntu computer and waited the few seconds for the printer to be recognized. I then threw some paper in the printer and printed a test page. It came out mostly white with a few colored lines here and there. HP 21 and 22 cartridges can be refilled but I was too lazy to go out and get some. I'm also too cheap as I don't want to spend $40 on a piece of trash I found than might not work at all. I went to the kitchen and got a glass of filtered water and went to my toolbox to get a syringe.

I always have a syringe in my toolbox as they come in handy from time to time.

I sucked up about 2cc of water and gently injected it deep into the the sponge in the cartridges.
Once the cartridges were back in the printer I tried printing to see how it did.

Success! The printer prints well enough to do my homework on till it goes dry. Then when I'm feeling not so lazy I can go pick up some more ink.

The inks in these printers are miscible with water and I don't really need all that photo quality I just want to print something sometimes.

Go there...
http://buildnhack.blogspot.com/2010/03/inject-water-into-your-printer-to-get.html

Don

No comments: