- SIP user agent compliant with RFC3261
- Decoupling between liblinphone engine and graphical UI: allows to integrate linphone functionnalities in any graphical application.
- Audio with the following codecs: speex (narrow band and wideband), G711 (ulaw,alaw), GSM. Through additionals plugins, it also supports AMR and iLBC.
- Video with codecs: H263, H263-1998, MPEG4, theora and H264 (thanks to a plugin based on x264), with resolutions from QCIF(176x144) to SVGA(800x600) provided that network bandwidth and cpu power are sufficient.
- Supports IPv6
- Supports any webcam with a V4L or V4L2 driver under linux and Directshow driver on windows
- Text instant messaging and presence (using the SIMPLE standart)
- DTMF (telephone tones) support using SIP INFO or RFC2833
- Understands SIP ENUMS (sip phone numbers using the naptr DNS service, without proxy)
- Echo cancelation using the great speex echo canceler
- Multiple SIP proxy support: registrar, proxies, outbound proxies
- Digest authentication
- Nat friendly: guesses NAT address for SIP messages, uses STUN for RTP streams
- Sound backends:
- Linux: ALSA, OSS, PulseAudio
- Windows: waveapi
- MacOSX: audio queues
- iPhone: AudioUnit
- Android sound system
- Efficient bandwidth management: the bandwidth limitations are signaled using SDP (b=AS...), resulting in audio and video session established with bitrates that fits the user's network capabilities.
- Can use plugins: to add new codecs, or new core functionalities, such as remote directory search of sip addresses for example.
- Compliant with open standarts: see the full list there.
Gtk2 graphical interface
It is running for Linux, Windows and MacOSX
Mobile phones interfaces
- Android application (no video support yet)
- iPhone application (no video support yet)
- Linux/x86 and Linux/x86-64
- Windows XP and Vista
- Linux/ARM: without graphical interface. Linphonec or liblinphone are good candidates to provide the software stack of an hardware phone or hardware communication system.
- Linux/Blackfin: The uclinux.org project maintains a port of linphone for blackfin processors, without gui. Performance are impressive. See here for details.
- MacOS X x86 : audio only version for now. Linphone is integrated in macports.
- Google Android: audio only version, download with the Android Market from your phone.
- Iphone OS: audio only version, download from the AppStore on your iphone or ipod touch.
- May work also on FreeBSD and OpenBSD with minor modifications to the build system.
- Internet Phone Apps
- GNU SIP Witch - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF)
- Linphone features | Linphone, an open-source video sip phone
- AsteriskNOW | Asterisk