PDFeditI have used this one, in Fedora Linux and it is very powerful. But, not to hard to figure out. It is available for Windows too.
Free editor for PDF documents. Complete editing of PDF documents is possible with PDFedit. You can change raw pdf objects (for advanced users) or use many gui functions. Functionality can be easily extended using a scripting language (ECMAScript).PDFedit Web Site
OpenOffice 3 = Free PDF Editor + Acrobat WriterI have used Open Office for years and I like it better than MS Office now. Libre Office is much the same. And both are Free and Open Source Software. I didn't know, until I looked up PDF Editors, that you could Edit PDF files with them both. I just took a quick look at one of my PDF files in Open Office 3.3.0 and low and behold. It works. The editing of a PDF, seems like it will take a bit of a leaning curve for me. It's much like working on an Image file in GIMP, the GNU Image Manipulation Program, which is free and Open Source too. But, with GIMP, you have to Import a PDF and edit it as an Image file. Would be very time consuming, I think, that way. So, you might want to try out Open Office or Libre...
Though you write PDF documents without Adobe Acrobat, there aren’t many choices for manipulating or editing PDF files. Most available PDF editors are either commercial or offer very limited functionality.
All this is expected to change with Sun OpenOffice 3 which includes native PDF import and export features.
You will be able import PDF files into Draw (PowerPoint), perform the edits and then export them as hybrid PDFs meaning you can edit the PDF files back again in OpenOffice.
Best Free PDF Tools
In a Hurry?
|Go straight to the Quick Selection Guide|
A PDF tool comes in handy when you need to deal with PDF files such as to merge or split pages, add a header, footer or watermark, highlight or annotate PDF documents, or convert from other files to PDFs or vice versa.
In this review, multipurpose programs offering general features for merging PDF files, splitting or re-ordering pages, etc within a single application are discussed under General Tools. Those designed for a more specific task are grouped under Specific Tools.
List of PDF software
These allow you to convert PDF files to other formats.
|deskUNPDF||Proprietary||Mac, Windows||Converts PDFs to Word, Excel, Text, HTML|
|GIMP||GNU GPL||Linux, Mac, Windows||Converts PDF to raster images|
|LibreOffice||GNU LGPL||BSD, Linux, Mac, Windows (Java based)||Import from PDF (extension included by default), export as PDF.|
|OpenOffice.org||GNU GPL||Linux, Mac, Windows||Import from PDF (with restrictions) (after installing an extension), export as PDF.|
|pstoedit||GNU GPL||?||PostScript to (other) vector file format converter|
|QPDF||Artistic License 2.0||?||Structural, content-preserving transformations from PDF to PDF|
|pdf-parser||Public Domain||?||Extraction and analysis tool, handles corrupt and malicious PDF documents|
|Solid Converter PDF||Proprietary||Windows, Mac OS X||PDF to Word, Excel, HTML and Text; supports passwords, text editing, and batch conversion|
|SWFTools||GNU GPL||Linux, Windows, Mac||SWF conversion and manipulation suite containing a standalone PDF to SWF converter along with a Python gfx API ( requires Xpdf )|
These allow you to modify an existing PDF file.
|LibreOffice||GNU LGPL||native PDF opening and saving|
|OpenOffice.org Draw||GNU LGPL||PDF import via OpenOffice.org software, or extensions|
|Inkscape||GNU GPL||Open, edit and export documents, but only one page at a time (pages can be later combined using PDF printer); free open source software|
|PDFedit||GNU GPL||Software to view or edit the internal structures of PDF documents, and merge them|
|Pdftk||GNU GPL||Command-line tools to edit and convert documents; supports filling of PDF forms with FDF/XFDF data|
These are used by software developers to add and create PDF features.
|Formatting Objects Processor||Apache License||Open-source print formatter driven by XSL Formatting Objects and an output independent formatter; main output target is PDF|
|GNU PDF||GNU GPL||Open-source C library in development; when done, will provide functions to implement all features of PDF 1.7 specification|
|iText||AGPL||Open-source library to create and manipulate PDF, RTF, HTML files in Java, C#, and other .NET languages|
|JasperReports||GNU LGPL||Open-source Java reporting tool that can write to screen, printer, or into PDF, HTML, Microsoft Excel, RTF, ODT, comma-separated values and XML files|
|libHaru||ZLIB/LIBPNG||Open-source, cross-platform C library to generate PDF files|
|Poppler||GNU GPL||Open-source multi-backend C++ library derived from Xpdf; no bundled viewer|
|ReportLab||BSD license||Open-source, Python-based PDF creation library|
|TCPDF||GNU LGPL||Open-source PHP library to create PDF files|
|XEP||Proprietary||XSL-FO layout engine written in Java; output formats: PDF|
|Qoppa PDF Libraries||Proprietary, shareware||Portable Java libraries to view, print, manipulate PDF files|
|JPedal||Proprietary, GNU LGPL||Java developer library for view, extract, print PDF files|
|Cairo graphics||GNU LGPL, MPL||Open-source C multi-backend vector graphics library|
|podofo||GNU LGPL||Open-source C++ library to read and write the PDF files|
These create files in their proprietary formats, but then allow you to export them to PDF formats.
|Adobe Acrobat||Proprietary||?||Desktop PDF authoring suite|
|FineReader||Proprietary||?||OCR tool; can save as PDF, and recognize text from PDF|
|Ghostscript||GNU GPL||?||Viewer, creator, converter; supports also PDF/X-3; used by PdfCreator, WinPdf, BullzipPdf, CutePDF freeware version and others|
|OpenOffice.org||GNU GPL||?||All OpenOffice.org applications allow PDF export; supports also PDF/A-1a; since many import formats are supported (e.g., doc, docx, rtf, xls, ppt) conversion is also possible|
|LibreOffice.org||GNU GPL||Linux, Windows, Mac||All LibreOffice.org applications allow PDF export; supports also PDF/A-1a; since many import formats are supported (e.g., doc, docx, rtf, xls, ppt) conversion is also possible|
|PageStream||Proprietary||?||Cross-platform desktop publishing application to open, edit, export|
|Prince||Commercial||Linux, Mac, Windows, Solaris,||Converts HTML, XML, SVG, and MathML to PDF by way of CSS|
|Scribus||GNU GPL||Linux/UNIX, Mac OS X, OS/2 Warp 4/eComStation and Windows desktops||Cross-platform desktop publishing (DTP) application; supports also PDF/X-3|
|XEP||Proprietary||BSD, Linux, Mac, Windows (Java based)||Converts XML and XSL-FO to PDF|
|LaTeX, TeX||LaTeX Project Public License, Permissive||?||Mark-up language and tools to write technical reports, books, magazines, almost any publication type|
|LuaTeX||GNU GPL||?||TeX typesetting system that creates PDF documents|
|pdfTeX||GNU GPL||?||TeX typesetting system that creates PDF documents|
|XeTeX||MIT||?||TeX typesetting system that creates PDF documents|
These allow you to view (not edit or modify) any existing PDF file.
|Adobe Reader||Proprietary, freeware||Adobe's PDF reader|
|DigiSigner||Proprietary, freeware||PDF viewer with added function to digitally sign PDF documents|
|Evince||GNU GPL||Universal viewer for GNOME.|
|Foxit Reader||Proprietary, freeware||PDF viewer, text conversion limited to easily extracted postscript text, does no optical character recognition|
|Google Chrome||Proprietary, freeware||View, search PDF files|
|GSview||Aladdin Free Public License||A legacy graphical interface for Ghostscript|
|MuPDF||GNU GPL||Aims to be small and fast with high quality anti-aliased graphics. Does not support interactive features.|
|Okular||GNU GPL||Universal viewer for KDE; replaces KPDF, available on versions of KDE from 4.1|
|Xpdf||Free and proprietary versions||Legacy, a multi-platform viewer; based on Xpdf codebase|
|PDF-XChange Viewer||Free version, also proprietary version with additional features available|
|Sumatra PDF||Free version, Open Source||PDF, eBook (MOBI), XPS, DjVu, CHM, Comic Book (CBZ and CBR) reader|
- Antiword: A free Microsoft Office Word reader for various operating systems; converts binary files from Word 2, 6, 7, 97, 2000, 2002 and 2003 to plain text or PostScript; available for AmigaOS 4, MorphOS, AROS x86
- dvipdfm: a DVI to PDF translator with zlib support
- ClibPDF: PDF Writer Linker-Lib for StormC (68k, PPC)
- Xpdf a multi-platform viewer for PDF files, Amiga version uses X11 engine Cygnix
- Apdf for MorphOS
- AmiPDF for OS4
Unix and Linux
- Okular: Supports a range of annotation types. Annotations are stored separately from the unmodified PDF file.
- Xournal: Allows for complex and customizable annotations by freehand drawing, a shape recognition tool, multiple colours and text fonts. In addition, there is a rule tool for straight lines, highlighting and underlining. Annotations may be copied, pasted and easily moved. Annotations may also be in complex scripts such as Tibetan through SCIM input. Annotations are stored separately from the unmodified PDF file, but the annotated document can be exported to PDF.
- CUPS: supports exporting to PDF formats
- Pdftk: can merge, split, en-/decrypt, watermark/stamp and manipulate PDF files
- Inkscape: Imports and export PDFs
- SWFTools: 'pdf2swf component converts PDF to SWF
- OpenOffice.org: an open source office suite with built-in PDF creation.
- LibreOffice.org: an open source office suite with built-in PDF creation.
- Xournal: an open source program that creates PDFs.
- Inkscape Vector drawing program that imports and exports PDF files
- Scribus: An Open Source program for professional page layout
- Xpdf: an open source multi-backend library for viewing and manipulating PDF files. Bundled with a viewer with the same name
- Qoppa PDF Libraries: portable Java libraries for viewing, printing and manipulating PDF files.
- PDFedit: An open source program for viewing or editing the internal structures of PDF documents
- PDF Studio: Proprietary software for viewing and editing PDF documents
- Adobe Reader: Adobe Reader also has a freeware version for Linux
- Evince: The default PDF and file viewer for GNOME; replaces GPdf
- GPdf: A PDFviewer for GNOME; replaced by Evince
- Okular: The document viewer for KDE desktop environment; replaces KPDF.
- Xpdf: A PDF viewer for the X Window System
- Foxit Reader: A PDF viewer from Foxit Software
- xournal: A GTK2 PDF viewer and annotator using Poppler
Mac OS X
- deskUNPDF for Mac: proprietary application from Docudesk to convert PDF files to Microsoft Office, OpenOffice.org, image, and data file formats
- Adobe Acrobat: Proprietary PDF authoring suite
- PDF Studio: Proprietary software to view and edit PDF documents
- PDF Signer: Proprietary; fills forms and embeds image signatures in PDF documents.
- Mac OS X: Creates PDF documents natively via print dialog
- Safari: This bundled web browser has built-in support for reading PDF documents.
- Preview: Mac OS X's default PDF viewer (in Mac OS X v10.5 and later, it also can rotate, reorder, annotate, insert, and delete pages. It can also merge files, create new files from existing files, and move pages between files.)
- Adobe Reader: Adobe Systems's reader which is also available for Macintosh; Safari plug-in available
- Skim, an open source (BSD licence) PDF reader and note-taker for Mac OS X
- Adobe Acrobat: Can convert files into PDF or convert PDF files into other formats
- ABBYY FineReader: Commercial PDF converter which converts PDF into Word (.doc), Excel (.xls), PowerPoint (ppt), and more
- deskUNPDF: PDF converter to convert PDFs to Word (.doc, docx), Excel (.xls), (.csv), (.txt), more
- GSview: File:Convert menu item converts any sequence of PDF pages to a sequence of images in many formats from bit to tiffpack with resolutions from 72 to 204x98 (open source software)
- gDoc Fusion: Proprietary, shareware; PDF views, edits, converts documents into PDF, XPS or Microsoft Word document; after 30 days a watermark is placed on documents in shareware version
- PDF-XChange: PDF Tools and PDF-XChange print driver allow conversion from many formats to PDF. A "lite" version of the print driver is free for non-commercial (home and academic) use.
- SaveasPDFandXPS: Freeware add-in for Microsoft Office 2007; converts documents in standard Microsoft Office formats, e.g. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, into PDF format.
- SWFTools: 'pdf2swf component converts PDF to SWF - command line with GUI wrapper
|Name||Type and license||Description|
|Bullzip PDF Printer||Freeware||Virtual printer, requires Ghostscript and PDFPowerTool.|
|CC PDF Converter||CC||Creates a PDF with embedded Creative Commons license from any software.|
|CutePDF||Freeware and professional versions||Virtual printer, also with proprietary PDF editor.|
|deskPDF||Standalone||Available for both client and terminal servers.|
|doPDF||Freeware standalone||Virtual printer. It doesn't use Ghostscript.|
|gDoc Creator||Shareware||Enterprise-level creator to create, review, edit, share or archive PDF and XPS documents. After 30 days shareware version places a watermark on documents.|
|HelpNDoc||Freeware and professional versions||Manual and documentation authoring tool with native PDF export. Free for personal use.|
|PagePlus||Proprietary||Desktop publishing suite with PDF viewing, editing and creation features|
|PaperPort||Proprietary||Desktop publishing suite with PDF viewing, editing and creation features|
|PDFCreator||GPL adware||Virtual printer, for Windows licenced under GPL. Uses Ghostscript and includes adware.|
|PDF-XChange||Free lite version||PDF Tools allows creation of PDFs from many types of source input (images, scans, etc.). The PDF-XChange print driver allows printing directly to a PDF. A "lite" version of the print driver is free for non-commercial (home and academic) use.|
|PrimoPDF||Freeware standalone||Virtual printer, for Microsotf .NET Framework and uses Ghostscript and RedMon. Connects with www.primopdf.com.|
|Print2PDF and Prin2PDF Free||Proprietary or freeware||PDF converter|
|SaveasPDFandXPS||Freeware||Add-in for Microsoft Office 2007|
|Solid PDF Creator||Proprietary|
|Xara Photo & Graphic Designer||Proprietary||Graphic design software with PDF creation plus import, viewing and limited editing|
- Qoppa PDF Libraries: portable Java libraries for viewing, printing and manipulating PDF files.
- PDF-XChange Tools SDK: C++, C, Active-X, C#, VB, VB.net, Delphi, and Clarion development libraries for creating, reading, manipulating, saving, and OCRing PDFs.
- HTML2PDF-X: Proprietary software library for PDF creation from HTML input.
- Adobe Acrobat: Adobe Systems's proprietary desktop PDF authoring suite
- Adobe Photoshop: Adobe Systems's Graphic Design software and image editor
- gDoc Fusion: proprietary/shareware desktop product to create, review, edit, share or archive PDF and XPS documents. After 30 days a watermark is placed on documents in shareware version.
- Infix PDF Editor: a proprietary PDF editor with word processor features
- PDF Studio: Proprietary software for viewing and editing PDF documents
- pdftk: free (GPL) command-line tools to manipulate, edit and convert documents; supports filling of PDF forms with FDF/XFDF data
- PDFedit: free and open source software for viewing and editing PDF documents
- Nitro PDF: a proprietary WYSIWYG editor with interface styled after Microsoft Office
- Adobe Reader: Adobe's freeware PDF reader.
- DigiSigner: Freeware PDF viewer with additional function to digitally sign PDF documents.
- Evince: a free (GPL), open source PDF reader. Part of the GNOME desktop environment. Windows port available since version 2.28.
- Foxit Reader: Freeware PDF reader, supports FDF import/export, saving filled forms; other extended functionality available via purchasable plugins.
- gDoc Fusion: Proprietary/shareware to view PDF, XPS, Microsoft Word document, Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, Microsoft PowerPoint presentation or image files, included in the evaluation version of the product. Shareware version places a watermark on documents after 30 day eval.
- GSview: Open source software and Ghostscript's viewer for Windows
- Nitro PDF Reader: Free, proprietary PDF reader and creator. Supports PDF creation, saving filled forms (AcroForms), text typewriter, markup/collaboration, and stamp signature.
- Nuance PDF Reader: Freeware PDF reader, supports saving filled forms, partial support for XFA forms; enables the capability to convert PDF files to MS Word or Excel files through Nuance website.
- PDF-XChange Viewer: Freeware viewer with free OCR, supports FDF/XFDF import/export, saving filled forms, extended markup and export to image capabilities.
- Qiqqa: Freeware PDF reader, indexer, tagger and annotator. Supports OCR and export of PDF text and images.
- Sumatra PDF: A free (GPL), open source PDF reader. Supports automatic reloading of PDF files.
- STDU Viewer: A freeware for non-commercial usage PDF reader. It also supports DjVu, Comic Book Archive (CBR or CBZ), XPS, TIFF, TXT and image file formats.
- Adobe Reader LE: PDF viewer from Quickoffice for S60 3rd edition devices. Published by Adobe Systems. It is shareware.
- Foxit Reader: Supports Symbian UIQ 3, Windows CE 4.2 and 5.0.
- Evince: Ported to Maemo platform
- iBooks: PDF viewer for iOS (iPhone, iPad)
- Cometdocs: Online PDF conversion
- Software602 Print2PDF 9.0: interactive web conversion from IIS or XML-SOAP web service
- Zamzar: Online file converter
- PDFVue: a free web application that allows the user to view PDF's, comment and fill PDF forms from a web browser. Generates a watermark.
- Qoppa PDF Libraries: Java beans for viewing and annotating PDF files to be integrated in an applet.
- A.nnotate: a web service which views PDF documents as HTML in the browser, with annotation features.
- DigiSigner: free online PDF viewer java applet with additional function to digitally sign PDF documents.
- Docstoc: a web service which allows viewing PDF documents online
- Google Docs: a web service which views PDF documents as JPEG images in the browser
- Scribd: a web service which renders PDF documents as HTML5 in the browser
- Oracle PDF Import Extension, OpenOffice.org repository for Extensions
- iText: licenses, iText Software Corp.
- "Learn Acrobat X - Converting PDF Files to Other File Formats". Adobe TV. Adobe Systems. 17 October 2010. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- Adobe - Reader: Adobe Reader for Symbian OS
- Foxit Software - Foxit Reader for Symbian UIQ 3.X
- Foxit Software - Foxit Reader for Windows CE
- PDF at the Open Directory Project
- PDF software at the Open Directory Project
- Windows Tools and Drivers at the Open Directory Project
- PDF Editing - Open Source Software
- ShoutLife.com - a fresh approach to social networking
- edit pdf open source - Google Search
- PDFedit | Free Graphics software downloads at SourceForge.net
- List of PDF software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- OpenOffice 3 is a free PDF Editor and Writer
- Best Free PDF Tools
- PDF Editing & Creation: 50+ open source/free alternatives to Adobe Acrobat : Codswallop
- pdf open source - Google Search
- Sumatra PDF, the open-source Adobe Reader replacement, improves performance, printing
- docs2text 4.0 free download standalone documents conversion component, supported formats are MS Office, Adobe PDF, OpenDocument families, RTF. Fastest processing speed, low resource requirements, advanced text preprocessing features, feature rich developer's set of components
- GNU Image Manipulation Program