installation section in our forum or on IRC #mate channel on FreeNode.
There are some Linux distributions that include MATE in the official repositories:
- Go there...
SummaryMATE Desktop is based on GNOME 2 and provides an intuitive and attractive desktop to Linux users who seek a simple, easy to use traditional interface.
- Name: Dan Mashal
- Email: dan.mashal AT fedoraproject DOT org
- Name: Rex Dieter
- Email: rdieter AT fedoraproject DOT org
- Name: Leigh Scott
- Email: leigh123linux AT fedoraproject DOT org
- Targeted release: Fedora 18
- Last updated: 2012-10-15
- Percentage of completion: 100%
- Tagoh of i18n team has offered support to update imsettings for MATE Desktop - mate-imsettings
Update 10-11-2012: All packages approved and pushed to Fedora 18 stable. Comps commit made, is visible in Anaconda. Works out of the box after Anaconda install. Currently using lightdm. Still working out final kinks.
Setting up a QA test day.
Detailed DescriptionMATE is a traditional Gnome 2 like desktop user interface. Many users have expressed interest in this feature since Fedora 15 in which Fedora was switched from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3.
For the advanced user that doesn't want a cutting edge desktop and just wants to keep it simple this is perfect for them.
The popularity of MATE Desktop is very high. It is one of the 2 choices of DE's for Linux Mint which is one of the most popular Linux distros out right now.
Benefit to Fedora
- Attract new users to Fedora.
- Give users another choice and freedom to choose what type of DE/WM they would like to use. This is one of the core foundations of the Fedora project.
ScopeMATE DE tracker bug
List of packages being imported in to fedora:
mate-common -- Approved.
mate-doc-utils -- Approved.
mate-corba -- Approved.
libmatewnck -- Approved.
mate-conf -- Approved.
libmatecomponent -- Approved.
mate-mime-data -- Approved.
mate-vfs -- Approved.
libmate -- Approved.
libmatecanvas -- Approved.
libmatecomponentui -- Approved.
libmatekeyring -- Approved.
mate-keyring -- Approved.
libmateui -- Approved.
libmatenotify -- Approved.
libmatekbd -- Approved.
libmateweather -- Approved.
mate-dialogs -- Approved.
mate-desktop -- Approved.
mate-file-manager -- Approved.
mate-notification-daemon -- Approved.
mate-backgrounds -- Approved.
mate-menus -- Approved.
mate-window-manager -- Approved.
mate-polkit -- Approved.
mate-settings-daemon -- Approved.
mate-control-center -- Approved.
mate-panel -- Approved.
mate-settings-daemon -- Approved.
mate-session-manager -- Approved.
mate-themes -- Approved.
How To TestUpon approval of all packages (and changes to comps git) a user would type "yum install @mate-desktop" and it would be added to their list of sessions to log in to on start up.
A "nice to have" feature would be to be included in the Anaconda install from the DVD (from my understanding commit to comps would cover this).
User ExperienceIt will improve the user's desktop experience by giving them another choice of Desktops that they can use with Fedora.
DependenciesPlease see MATE-DE-Tracker for more information.
The main dependencies required by this package are python, GTK2, automake, libtool, gettext and pkgconfig.
mate-common will provide automake autoconf gettext intltool libtool so that it will not be in every package's buildrequires.
- If this feature is not ready by the deadline it will be included in the next Fedora release.
- MATE Desktop website here.
- This is the initial release of MATE Desktop for Fedora 17/18. It brings back a classic, intuitive, and easy to use desktop that users have been long requesting.
- Release notes will be further updated as the completion of the project draws near. The import of the base packages is 100% complete. Extras are slowly being added.
- For support please join #Fedora-MATE or #MATE on freenode irc or file a bug in redhat bugzilla.
Comments and Discussion
- This page was last modified on 10 November 2012, at 14:04.
- Content is available under Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported.
Here are the main changes and improvements in this release:
- Numerous bug fixes
- All conflicts with GNOME were fixed
- All configuration files were moved to ~/.config/mate
- An undo/redo feature was added in Caja
- Libmate’s mate-open command is now faster to open applications.
- Mate settings daemon now supports the PulseAudio and GStreamer backends
- New applications: mozo (alacarte fork), python-caja, caja-gksu, caja-image-converter
- Mate themes were renamed to avoid conflicts with GNOME
- A new MATE wallpaper was added
- MATE now features its own icon
DebianDebian Sid/Wheezy: add the following repository to your ”/etc/apt/sources.list”:
deb http://packages.mate-desktop.org/repo/debian wheezy mainTo install MATE:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install mate-archive-keyring sudo apt-get update # this install the base packages sudo apt-get install mate-core # this install more packages sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment
Ubuntu Oneiric Ocelot (11.10) repositoryAdd the repo to /etc/apt/sources.list via the following command:
sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://packages.mate-desktop.org/repo/ubuntu oneiric main"or using a text editor of your choice add the following mirror to /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://packages.mate-desktop.org/repo/ubuntu oneiric mainUbuntu Precise Pangolin (12.04) repository
Add the repo to /etc/apt/sources.list via the following command:
sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://packages.mate-desktop.org/repo/ubuntu precise main"or using a text editor of your choice add the following mirror to /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://packages.mate-desktop.org/repo/ubuntu precise main
MATE Installation (both Oneiric/Precise)Then run the following command to update your repositories and install MATE:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install mate-archive-keyring sudo apt-get update # this install base packages sudo apt-get install mate-core # this install more packages sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment
Linux MintLinux Mint Lisa has MATE packages (1.0 release). See http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Lisa#import.
Latest packages (1.2 release)If you want to try the latest MATE packages, you can use the MATE repository for Ubuntu. Once set up the repository, you need to edit the /etc/apt/preferences file as follow:
Package: * Pin: release o=linuxmint Pin-Priority: 700 Package: * Pin: origin packages.linuxmint.com Pin-Priority: 700 Package: * Pin: release o=Ubuntu Pin-Priority: 500 Package: * Pin: origin packages.mate-desktop.org Pin-Priority: 700
LMDELinux Mint Debian Edition has MATE 1.2 packages.
Salix/SlackwareSalix and Slackware users can install Mate using the packages in the Salix repositories. See here.
FedoraTo install MATE on Fedora, follow those steps:
yum install http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49862637/Mate-desktop/mate-desktop-fedora/releases/16/noarch/mate-desktop-release-16-5.fc16.noarch.rpm yum groupinstall MATE-Desktop
ArchlinuxTo install MATE, open
/etc/pacman.confand append this: (for i686 or x86_64).
[mate] # Official MATE repo: Server = http://packages.mate-desktop.org/repo/archlinux/mate/$archAfter do a pacman update
pacman -SyyAnd install the package normally. You are likely to get file conflicts when installing, especially when you have Gnome or Xfce installed. Simply rename the offending files or install with the ”–force” flag.
pacman -Sff mate mate-extra
SourceSource are hosted on http://pub.mate-desktop.org/releases/1.2.
- Linux Desktops - Mate (Gnome 2 Fork), KDE, XFCE, LXDE. LMDE etc
- A Review Of MATE – Is It A True Gnome 2 Replica? [Linux]
- MATE | The traditional desktop environment
- KDE | MakeUseOf
- XFCE: Your Lightweight, Speedy, Fully-Fledged Linux Desktop
- Enjoy The Best In Linux With Linux Mint 12
- Enjoy A Clean, Improved Desktop With KDE 4.7 [Linux]
- Xfce - Desktop Environment
- Install | MATE
- Home [wiki.mate-desktop.org]
- Support | MATE
- Applications | MATE
- LXDE - blog.lxde.org
- Salix OS 13.1.1 LXDE | Desktop Linux Reviews
- Fedora 12, LXDE Spin - FedoraForum.org
- LXDE.org | Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment
- Available Now: Fedora 11 LXDE Remix - Lightweight Leonidas - Softpedia
- Planet - LXDE.org
- About Spin: LXDE
- A quick look at Linux Mint LXDE 11
- Linux Today - Salix OS Live 13.1.1 LXDE Review
- Linux Today - PCLinuxOS Magazine - Gtk Lightweight Desktops: Xfce & LXDE Special Edition
- Linux Today - Sabayon Linux 7 LXDE, E17 and Awesome Released
- Linux Today - LXDE and Xfce - the other desktops
- Sabayon Linux 6 LXDE, XFCE, E17: Released
- Salix OS • View topic - Salix LXDE edition 13.1 has been released
- Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork - Ubuntu Forums
- Linux Today - Linux Mint's Cinnamon: A GNOME 3.x shell fork
- Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork (Page 1) / Community Contributions / Arch Linux Forums
- First Raspberry Pi SD Card Image Released [Debian Squeeze, LXDE] ~ Ubuntu Vibes
- GNOME: The Free Software Desktop Project
- F17 heads up: gnome shell for everyone
- How to reinstall GNOME? - FedoraForum.org
- Metacity or Gnome Window Manager is broken [Archive] - FedoraForum.org
- reinstalling GNOME from the cd's - FedoraForum.org
- GNOME 2.24 Release Notes
- Could MATE Be the Savior of the GNOME 2 Linux Interface?
- Available Now: GNOME 2.26.3 - The last maintenance release for GNOME 2.26 - Softpedia
- Introducing Descent|OS: Ubuntu With GNOME 2 - Softpedia
- Don's GNOME desktop-v0.0.2 DVD-ISO
- Don-BishopCo-Linux-Gnome-64bitx86-DVD-ISO-v3 – SUSE Studio
- Don's GNOME desktop-v0.0.2 DVD-ISO – SUSE Studio
- Viewing files in Dons_GNOME_desktopv0.0.2_DVDISO.x86_64-0.0.5.iso – SUSE Studio
- Gnome 2 - Google Custom Search on DonsDeals Blog
- Linux Today - Could MATE Be the Savior of the GNOME 2 Linux Interface?
- gnome-applets-2.28.0-2.fc12.i686 RPM
- Could MATE Be the Savior of the GNOME 2 Linux Interface? | The VAR Guy
- Download - Linux Mint
- KDE Quick Start
- Applications for your KDE-Desktop - KDE-Apps.org
- Events Plasma Runner KDE-Apps.org
- Root Actions Servicemenu KDE-Apps.org
- Download KDE Software Compilation 4.8.4 / 4.9 Beta 2 for Linux - KDE is a powerful Free Software graphical desktop environment for Linux and Unix workstations. - Softpedia
- KDE Control Center | Linux App Finder
- KDE Community Forums: What the forums search can do for you
- KDE SC 4.8.4 Is Now Available for Download - Softpedia
- Second Beta of KDE SC 4.9 Is Available for Testing - Softpedia
- KDE - Experience Freedom!
- KDE - KDE Announces 4.9 Beta1 and Testing Initiative
- KDE - Utilities
- KDE Control Centre | Linux Journal
- KDE4 Activities for Fast Efficient Workflow | Linux.com
- Download [wiki.mate-desktop.org]
- Features/MATE-Desktop - FedoraProject
- DonsDeals: Could MATE Be the Savior of the GNOME 2 Linux Interface? | The VAR Guy
- DonsDeals: Gnome 2 is Dead! Long Live Gnome 2! Through MATE - The traditional desktop environment