Flying Laptop will have the dimensions of 60x70x80 cm³ and a mass of 120 kg. It is three-axis stabilized and will orbit and survey the earth in a low polar orbit of approximately 700 km. The Flying Laptop shall be launched into orbit with an indian PSLV as a secondary payload. The objectives of the Flying Laptop are the test and verification of new technologies, e.g. a reconfigurable FPGA onboard computer, a novel unfolding meachanism and a GPS experiment, as well as scientific earth surveillance.
The Flying Laptop is currently between the end of phase B and the beginning of phase C. In 2011 the construction of the flatsat for functional verification will be started. In parallel, the structure-thermal model will be built to verify the environmental capability. The launch is projected to be in early 2013. The lifetime of Flying Laptop shall be two years.
Pretty Cool Project. I didn't see, how they plan on getting it into Orbit. I wonder, if they are planning on using a Rocket or a Balloon?
- Hackerspace Global Grid
- Hackerspace Global Grid [shackspace wiki]
- Project HGG: FAQ [shackspace wiki]
- AMSAT - The Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation
- Flying Laptop
- Hacking confab conjures visions of space-borne 'SOPA Wars' | Privacy Inc. - CNET News
- Hackerspace Global Grid Meetup » shackspace = der hackerspace in stuttgart
- 28c3: Building a Distributed Satellite Ground Station Network - A Call To Arms - YouTube
- boinc - Google Search
- Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia