Search My Blog

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Practical Security: Creating SSH Tunnels

Practical Security: Creating SSH Tunnels

By Jeremy M. Jones
January 20, 2009

Email Print Digg This Add to del.icio.us

In a previous article, I went over some of the basic functions of ssh. In that article, I mentioned that simple remote shell access was not the most interesting thing you can do with ssh. I pointed out that remote command execution was more interesting than mundane remote shell access. In this article, I'll discuss something that I think is even more interesting than remote shell access or remote execution: tunneling.

Reasons for Tunneling

There are two primary reasons to use ssh for tunneling. Before I give those reasons, I'll describe what tunneling is.

Tunneling with ssh is the process of wrapping some network communication with the encrypted ssh protocol. Tunneling involves an ssh client connecting to an ssh server, just as in "regular cases." But when the ssh client connects to the server, the client specifies the source and the destination for the tunnel.

The source is simply a bound network port that other processes can connect to. This port must either be managed by the ssh client or the ssh server.

The destination is another bound network port; but this time, it's some other network server that the other end of the ssh tunnel can communicate with. If this seems a bit unclear, don't worry; I'll get into more detail shortly with an example. For now, you can just think of ssh tunneling as secure port forwarding.

Read More...

http://www.enterpriseitplanet.com/security/features/article.php/3797276

Don

No comments: