Video - futureliner
Futurliner Parade of Progress
GM's Futurliner going for a ride
GM Futurliner #10 @ Pontiac Nationals, Norwalk Ohio
Download this 5 minute history video on the Futurliner...Click here or on the picture below to download and play a video clip. The file type is wmv.
This video clip runs about 5 minutes and is the same clip shown on on a large screen TV in the Futurliner display area. The clip is narrated by Raffee Johns (actually, it's an actor's voice) who tells a little bit about his experience with the Parade of Progress. You can read more about Mr. Johns by following this link.
If the clip wet your appetite for more, a DVD or VHS video is now available of the Futurliner restoration project. The approximate 45-minute video chronicles the history and restoration of Futurliner #10 by a group of volunteer men in the West Michigan area. Futurliner #10 was one of 12 large dual-front wheeled display vehicles designed specifically for the GM Parade of Progress. The GM Parade of Progress and its crew of about 60 young men carried futuristic and inspirational exhibits to millions of people across North America from 1936 through 1956. This 1953 Futurliner, with 16-foot display doors on either side, was a perfect platform for static exhibits and live demonstrations of emerging technology. Read More... http://www.futurliner.com/video.htm A Project of the National Automotive and Truck Museum of the United States. This Web Site is dedicated to the restoration of a 1953 Futurliner and providing background information on the Parade of Progress, Paraders and vehicles. Home Page... http://www.futurliner.com/index.html
GMC FuturlinerOne of twelve beauties built by General Motors, this is an exhibition display and transport vehicle, designed by legendary Harley J. Earl team. "Opening side, lighting, retractable stage, distinctive center 'cupola' cockpit driving position and dual wheel front axle. Used in the 'Parade of Progress' touring exhibit created by 'Boss' Kettering that complemented the GM 'Motoramas' from 1940 through 1956."
Read More and see More Pics...
GM Futurliner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Restored Futurliner #10 in 2007
|Built By:||GMC Truck and Fisher Coach & Body.|
|Height:||3.5 metres (11 feet 7 inches)|
|Width:||2.4 metres (8 feet)|
|Length:||10 metres (33 feet)|
|Wheelbase:||6.3 metres (20 feet 8 inches)|
|Weight:||13 tons (30,000 pounds) (approx)|
|Fuel Capacity:||340 litres (90 gallons) (2 45 gallon tanks)|
|Powertrain(1940–1946):||4-cylinder diesel/manual transmission|
|Power Train (1953–1956):||GMC 302ci 6-cylinder /4-speed hydramatic plus 2-speed manual gearbox|
|Top Speed:||65 km/h (40 mph)|
The GM Futurliners were a group of stylized buses designed in the 1940s by Harley Earl for General Motors. They were used in GM's Parade of Progress, which traveled the United States exhibiting new cars and technology. The Futurliners were used from 1940 to 1941 and again from 1953 to 1956. A total of 12 were built, and 9 were still known to exist as of 2007.
 Parade of Progress
The Parade of Progress was halted by WWII. The vehicles were refurbished by GM and the Parade resumed in 1953, and were discontinued in 1956, a victim of the technologies the Futurliners had featured: television.
In addition to the Futurliners, the Parade of Progress included 32 support vehicles.
 After the Parade
Following the Parade of Progress, the twelve Futurliners were disposed of by General Motors.
As of summer 2008 Futurliner #8 was delivered to its new Swedish owner Nicklas Jonsson who plans to restore it over a 10-year period. It's the first and only Futurliner in Europe.
Of the other six known surviving Futurliners, one is used as a motorhome and two in advertising. One is in Maine and is currently being restored. It is owned by Tom Learned and is powered by a GM V-8 with an Allison automatic transmission. The others are generally beyond restorable condition.
|GM Futurliner # 10|
 In popular culture
The Futurliner was seen as an animated S.W.A.T. van in Batman: The Animated Series.
- ^ "Safetyliners". Futurliner.com. http://www.futurliner.com/mich.htm. Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- ^ "Cathedral Cruiser". Futurliner.com. http://www.futurliner.com/oralroberts.htm. Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- ^ "4 million dollar bus". Azcentral.com. 2006-01-24. http://www.azcentral.com/community/chandler/articles/0124auction24.html. Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- ^ a b GM Futurliner Restoration
|This bus-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
1940 through 1956 GMC Futurliner Bus and Trucks
- Wallpaper of the Week (Awesome Abandoned Vintage Red Pickup Truck)
- gmc 1950 - Google Search
- 1950 GMC Futurliner Images. Photo: 50_GMC_Futurliner_DV-06-AI_03.jpg
- 1950 GMC Futurliner Bus
- Dark Roasted Blend: Vintage & Modern Concept Buses
- 1950 GMC Futurliner Images, Information and History | Conceptcarz.com
- GM Futurliner #10 @ Pontiac Nationals, Norwalk Ohio - YouTube
- Futurliner Parade of Progress - YouTube
- futureliner - YouTube
- GM's Futurliner going for a ride - YouTube
- GMC Futurliner at the 2010 Elmia Truck Show in Sweden - YouTube
- Dark Roasted Blend: DRB Feel-Good Issue #4
- 1950 GMC Futurliner Images. Photo: 50_GMC_Futurliner_manu-06_01.jpg
- 1950 GMC Futurliner Technical Specifications and data. Engine, Dimensions and Mechanical details. | Conceptcarz.com
- 1950 GMC Futurliner Images | Conceptcarz.com
- A Gathering of Buses, 8/3/02
- 1950 GMC Futurliner Bus - Google Search
- 1953 GM Paradeof Progress
- 1950 gmc futurliner bus - Google Search
- The GM Futurliner Restoration Project
- 1933 Worlds Fair
- GM Futurliner News Release GM Futurliner Restoration Project National Automotive and Truck Museum of the United States
- Futurliner_Hist.wmv (video/x-ms-wmv Object)
- Locating A Futurliner To Restore
- GM Parade of Progress
- GM Aer-o-Dome
- Michigan State Police Safetyliner
- GM Futurliner - Cathedral Cruiser - Oral Roberts Ministries
- Pictures: Vintage & Modern Concept Buses | Amazing, Funny, Beautiful, Nature, Travel and much more...
- GM Futurliner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Antique Buses For Sale
- futurliner - Google Keyword - Website-Tools.net
- www.futurliner.com - Google Keyword - Website-Tools.net
- Bob Valdez Futurliner
- Scrapbook - Letters of Appreciation
- Buses for Sale: 1939 General Motors Futurliner- Antique Buses, VIP's / Entertainers, Limos & Limo Buses
- 1950 gmc futurliner bus specs - Google Search