Search My Blog

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Running 64-bit Linux? No Flash For You! - O'Reilly Broadcast

Running 64-bit Linux? No Flash For You!

By Caitlyn Martin
June 17, 2010 | Comments: 11

A critical security flaw in Acrobat Reader 9.x and 10.x as reported by CVE can "allow remote attackers to execute arbitrary code or cause a denial of service (memory corruption)". According to an Adobe notice dated June 4: "There are reports that this vulnerability is being actively exploited in the wild against both Adobe Flash Player, and Adobe Reader and Acrobat." The solution is to upgrade to Flash Player 10.1.

Unfortunately, that is easier said than done for those of us who run a 64-bit Linux distribution. On Tuesday Slashdot reported that Adobe has, at least temporarily, ended support for Flash Player on 64-bit Linux. No updated version is available. Adobe's message for 64-bit Linux users, at least for now, is "No Flash for you!"

Adobe explains the decision as follows:

Go there read more...
http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2010/06/running-64-bit-linux-no-flash.html

I recently installed Fedora 12 - 64 bit on a new Computer I was building about a month ago. I found Flash 10 impossible to get working. Gnash would not play very many Videos Online now. So I have up on the 64 bit system and went back to the 32 bit version of Fedora 12. I though I would try 64 bit again later, when Adobe got Flash up to date and working. Looks like my wait till be a long one now!:(

Don

No comments: