So, if you run Windows OS and want wold like a CD, full of Open Source Software, ready to carry around with you. Then, Check out VALO-CD.net...
VALO-CD.net - Free and Open Source Apps CD ISO Image
Programs - VALO-CD version 8
CD contentsVALO-CD contains also contains guides, public encryption keys and other materials. If you don't want to download the entire VALO-CD, you can also browse it online directly from our website.
(requires IE7 or better, e.g. Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome)
Security updatesIn Windows the automatic update system updates only Microsoft's programs. Windows users have to take care themselves that their software installed from VALO-CD in updated regulary. The newest versions are available from the programs websites for free.
In Linux the automatic update system is able to update all installed programs and thus keep all security updates up to date. This CD is not meant for Linux users - if you use Linux, then install these programs from your own distribution's package manager.
What is VALO? – VALO-CD.netThe objective of the VALO-CD project is to advance the global information technological and economic progress by offering free software for use by as many people as possible worldwide.
At the same time we want to inform consumers, decisionmakers and technology providers about the advantages of free software.
FOSS?FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) or VALO in Finnish, which also means light, have been published with a license that guarantees the users with the rights to use, copy and modify software freely – as opposed to conventional proprietary software whose licenses have the character of limiting the rights of the users. As the source codes are available, anyone can modify the programs. Enhanced versions can be passed along as well according to the licensing terms.
From the point of view of an ordinary user, FOSS means independence from a specific software producer. In FOSS one doesn't pay a license fee but according to a service rendered to the customer which guarantees that software businesses invest a larger share of their revenues in the development of software.
FOSS stops dangerous monopolies from forming and enables fair, primarily quality-based competition between software.Characteristic in FOSS is also the use of free standards and file formats, which promotes interoperability and cooperation between software.
"The development model of FOSS produces excellent programs for an open information society. Oppose a closed, user-restricting information society – prefer FLOSS!"The greatest and best-known example of FOSS is the Linux operating system. However, this disc doesn't contain it but exclusively programs meant to be used on Windows. Meanwhile, most of the programs on VALO-CD are not dependent on the operating system and thus have Linux versions as well. Using the programs of this disc makes it easier to transition to Linux later, as most of the programs will have become familiar from the Windows side.
Free programs?FOSS programs can be sold for sure, but as it's not allowed to restrict their distribution, the programs are free in practise. Other consequences of the FOSS development model include:
- Vendor indepence
- FOSS licenses enable getting support and repair services for the software from any party.
- Open development work
- FOSS projects work in an open manner: they publish information on their project pages about development ideas for the software and test versions of the software in development. Participation is open as well, as the development teams are happy to accept new members who have demonstrated their skills via their work.
- Public bug database
- Problems are not hidden but listed in a public bug database. Anyone can report in the database an imperfection they found or help solving a problem.
- Public version control
- The source code is most commonly kept in a version control system, where anyone can follow precisely who has done what changes to which files. A knowledgeable person can also fix bugs themselves and submit change data files to the project developers for acceptance.
- Freedom of choice
- Should collaboration with some software project not work for one reason or another, anyone can at any time create a new branch of the software and develop it according to their preferences. Software development is fast because the code from other projects can be easily utilised in one's own project. This model promotes birth of new FOSS software and the users have the real freedom to choose the best software from their point of view from a really wide variety.
- Standard conformance
- It's typical of FOSS to follow common standards whenever it makes any sense. This way the programs are widely compatible with other software. FOSS projects don't intend to gain or maintain a dominant position in the market but the primary intent is to develop good software that serves well its users.
- Security and overall quality
- As the work is public and the primary purpose is to serve users (the developers are most commonly users themselves), nobody has the interest to make anything else but secure and quality code. Because the code is public, the security is based on good architectural solutions as opposed to secrecy.
Even FOSS isn't end-allEven though the way FOSS produces software is better than the closed models, one has to remember that it isn't perfect either. In the end, each software reflects on its developers and thus quality varies.
Practise has however shown that in the long term the evolution-like software development method of FOSS produces the best software.
Try for yourself!Start by trying out the programs on this disc and by getting to know the communities and corporations behind them.
More informationThe easiest place to find more information on FOSS worldwide is the Free & Open Source Software Portal by UNESCO.
- VALO-CD.net - Free and Open Source Apps CD ISO Image
- Get VALO-CD – VALO-CD.net
- Programs – VALO-CD.net
- What is VALO? – VALO-CD.net
- Welcome - TheOpenCD
- Index of / releases.theopencd.org
- OpenDisc 12.09
- OpenDisc - Google Search
- OpenDisc | About
- OpenDisc | FAQ
- OpenDisc | Education
- OpenDisc | Contact
- OpenDisc | openeducationdisc
- OpenCD Project Now Defunct was aimed to introduce users of Microsoft Windows to the benefits of free and open source software (FOSS)
- Open CD - Google Search
- OpenCD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Open CD project
- Index of / OpenCD - Old Relieses
- News 12-06-12
- Google, Mozilla Warn Of Threats To Internet Freedom - Government -
- Resignations Continue in Egypt as Tanks Deploy Around Presidential Palace - NYTimes.com
- Earning free credits on a jukebox with an Arduino
- Sunrise alarm clock uses DCF77 for perfect time
- Apple to Invest in Manufacturing Macs in U.S., Cook Says - Businessweek
- Guatemala Could Deport John McAfee Back to Belize - ABC News
- Linux Today - Virtual Hosting With PureFTPd And MySQL (Incl. Quota And Bandwidth Management) On Ubuntu 12.10
- Virtual Hosting With PureFTPd And MySQL (Incl. Quota And Bandwidth Management) On Ubuntu 12.10 | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials
- Linux Today - VALO-CD serves a smorgasbord of open source Windows apps
- VALO-CD serves a smorgasbord of open source Windows apps | PCWorld
- Linux Today - What Wayland Means for Developers
- What Wayland Means for Developers
- Voltage logger does it the right way
- John McAfee tripped up by the smartphone | TechRepublic
- Nationwide Mutual hack affected '1.1 million Americans' | ZDNet
- Center for Democracy & Technology | Keeping the Internet Open, Innovative and Free
- The Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- International Telecommunication Regulations (ITRs)
- Get VALO-CD – VALO-CD.net
- What is VALO? – VALO-CD.net
- List of countries (WATTC-88) [wind]
- T3F010000010001PDFE.pdf (application/pdf Object)
- News 12-05-12
- Linux Today - Two Great Linux Applications for Aspiring Photographers
- Two Great Linux Applications for Aspiring Photographers | Worldlabel Blog
- Linux Today - Running concrete5 On Nginx (LEMP) On Debian Squeeze/Ubuntu 12.10
- Running concrete5 On Nginx (LEMP) On Debian Squeeze/Ubuntu 12.10 | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials
- Japanese Drumming Sensei
- Building a pirate cannon for fun and plunder
- Simplifying fabrication of soft robots
- HAR.MS » Print Your Own Robot: Part 4
- Three Tricks to Make Windows 8 Much Easier and Quicker to Use
- Breath Test May Detect Colon Cancer
- Endoscopy Overused in Heartburn Patients
- NASA to send new robot to Mars to join Curiosity rover
- Automatic Lighting Controllers that Turn Lights On and Off • Ron Hazelton Online
- Calvin's Canadian Cave of Coolness: The Beauty Of Design
- Explore A Virtual Human Body With Stunning Graphics
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.4 Set to Improve Microsoft Interoperability
- Steve Ciarcia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Elektor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia