Search My Blog

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Open-source alternatives to Instagram Picture Apps - CamanJS Interactive Examples

I don't have a Mobile Phone. So, I have never used Instagram. Honestly I didn't know what it was, when I kept seeing the Web Headlines about their new TOS, lately. But, those Headlines, got me to wondering what it really was. Then today, I saw an article called, Open-source alternatives to Instagram, on VentureBeat. The "Open Source" title. Drew me in and I learned something interesting and found a neat Web Site App called CamanJS. It's both an App and a Web Site Tool. It's free and Open Source and you can install it on your Web Server, if you like. There's a Demo Page on their site (info below). I played around with it and it is a nice and easy to use, Pic Efx App.


My Edit of the Example image...



The Original Example image from CamanJS Site...

What is CamanJS?

CamanJS is (ca)nvas (man)ipulation in Javascript. It's a combination of a simple-to-use interface with advanced and efficient image/canvas editing techniques.

CamanJS is very easy to extend with new filters and plugins, and it comes with a wide array of image editing functionality, which continues to grow. It's completely library independent and works both in NodeJS and the browser.

Go there...
http://camanjs.com/

Interactive Example

Choose a filter and move the slider to see it in action. This is only a sample of the full power of CamanJS.

Go there and try out CamanJS...
http://camanjs.com/examples/

I also tried out, VintageJS - which will "add some awesome retro and vintage style to your images with the HTML5 canvas element". It was fun to play with. But, after editing one of my Pics. The save function wouldn't work. So, I used Right Click and Save Image As... to save my image with the Retro Efx. And then, the next thing I knew. My whole Computer was locked up!:( I run Fedora 14 Linux and Firefox Web Browser. So, I'm sure that some of the Java Code that the vintageJS App runs on caused this. This has been a problem for a while now. But, I don't see it very often these days. Java and Flash too, sometimes cause Firefox or Chrome to use 100% of you System Resources, by over taxing the CPU. This is usually due to buggy Java or Flash Code, from what I have read. VintageJS also uses HTML5. But, I have not had any problems with HTML5, so far. So, I wont be trying vintageJS again.


My image, after using vintageJS efx. Looks like an old Pic. But, you can see the 2007 date in the Pic...



My Original Image (without any efx)...


Here's some links. Some of these Apps are for Smart Phones, only...

Pic Efx App CamanJS is (ca)nvas (man)ipulation in Javascript a combination of a simple-to-use interface with advanced and efficient image-canvas editing techniques


CamanJS - Javascript Image Manipulation
meltingice/CamanJS · GitHub
meltingice/CamanJS-Site · GitHub
CamanJS - Interactive Examples
CamanJS - Basic Usage
caman.coffee

Open-source alternatives to Instagram Picture Apps


Open-source alternatives to Instagram | VentureBeat
vintageJS - add some awesome retro and vintage style to your images with the HTML5 canvas element
CamanJS - Javascript Image Manipulation
CamanJS - Interactive Examples
Chrome Web Store - Lomo+

No comments: