Company Agrees to Stop Spying Through Rented Computers
Back in May of 2011, we first shared the disturbing details of “rent-to-own” stores using laptop and desktop webcams to spy on their customers.
According to the FTC’s complaint (PDF), Aaron’s software tracked customers’ locations, took photos with the computers’ Webcams “including those of adults engaged in intimate activities,” and activated keyloggers that were able to capture login credentials for everything from e-mail to Facebook to banking sites.–cnet.com
Amazingly enough, it has taken more than 2 years for one of the companies at the center of a related lawsuit – has finally agreed to end this practice.
Yesterday, the Federal Trade Commission announced that Aaron’s has agreed to settle these charges and make sure franchisees cease the spying…
The proposed consent agreement [PDF] bars the retailer from using monitoring technology that captures keystrokes or screenshots, or activates the camera or microphone on a consumer’s computer, except to provide technical support requested by the consumer. If Aaron’s wants to install location-tracking software on a computer, it will be required to give clear notice and obtain express consent from consumers at the time of rental. Furthermore, unless a computer has been reported lost or stolen, Aaron’s will have to give notice to consumers when it activates any sort of tracking technology.
–The Consumerist 10/23/2013
Original article was first posted on 5/24/2011.
I Can See You In Your HomeRead More...
Aaron's Computer Rental Chain Settles FTC Spying Charges
- Company Agrees to Stop Spying Through Rented Computers
- Complaint - 131022aaronscmpt.pdf
- Aaron's computer rental chain settles FTC spying charges | Security & Privacy - CNET News
- Agreement Containing Consent Order - 131022aaronsorder.pdf
- Aaron’s Agrees To Stop Snooping On Customers Via Rented Computers – Consumerist
- Lawsuit: Aaron's Rental Co. Laptops Can Track Users' Keystrokes and Screenshots, Take Webcam Photos
- Lease to Own Furniture, Computers, Electronics, Appliances | Aaron’s
- The Greatest American Lawyer: Invasion of Privacy: Aaron's Rental Company Laptops Spie on Customers
- I Can See You In Your Home