Blinking, fading, and color changing lights are a standard for eye catching goggles. This being said, I decided to change it up a bit and make a set that would engage the wearer in the production of sound.
As always I wanted my goggles to be interactive. When it comes to audio, I figured there was no better way to achieve this than with some sort of theremin which would invoke hand waving and finger wiggling from the wearer and anyone near by. Now, I realize that traditional theremins are quite complex in their inner workings and tend to run quite large, so I poked around the internet until I found this simplified optical theremin that requires a hand full of basic components and two 555 timers.This particular design also creates a very unique, annoying sound which in this application is perfect! Here is the link to the circuit I used : Easy Pocket Photo Theremin.
In regards to appearance, I wanted this pair to have a beat up electronic feel bordering on steam punk, so I gathered parts of mismatched metal types (copper, chrome, gold, brass).
This is the first time I used a different model of goggle to start with. They have roughly the same dimensions as my usual set but have larger vents on the sides with some nifty plastic removable inserts which allowed me to wrap metallic rubber chord around the edge of the goggles to create this unique ‘grip’ effect. :
Lenses? Not this time! I installed a speaker and volume knob in the eye pieces. The volume knob is attached to a potentiometer which is held in place by some laser-cut acrylic fitted to the inside of the goggle. :
Steampunk theremin goggles by Sarah - Gravity Road YouTube Channel
- Steampunk theremin goggles
- Theremin Goggles Demo - YouTube
- Channel GravityRoad - YouTube
- Mini Delta Robot Breaks Its Arm - YouTube
- Delta Robot and RGB LED controlled by Wii Nunchuck - YouTube
- Delta Smack - YouTube
- Reactor Goggles Demo - YouTube
- 3D Printed Delta Robot Complete : JEDEN - YouTube
- Build a Pocket Theremin on the Cheap | Popular Science
- Theremin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Lydia Kavina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Léon Theremin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- File:Bugged-great-seal-open.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Terpsitone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Electric cello - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Build It | Popular Science
- File:Etherwave Theremin Kit.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Uploaded videos1-10 of 33