Search My Blog

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Steampunk theremin goggles by Sarah - Gravity Road YouTube Channel

Theremin Goggles Video by Robotic Arts

Theremin Goggles

thereminsX

Blinking, fading, and color changing lights are a standard for eye catching goggles. This being said, I decided to change it up a bit and make a set that would engage the wearer in the production of sound.

As always I wanted my goggles to be interactive. When it comes to audio, I figured there was no better way to achieve this than with some sort of theremin which would invoke hand waving and finger wiggling from the wearer and anyone near by. Now, I realize that traditional theremins are quite complex in their inner workings and tend to run quite large, so I poked around the internet until I found this simplified optical theremin that requires a hand full of basic components and two 555 timers.This particular design also creates a very unique, annoying sound which in this application is perfect! Here is the link to the circuit I used : Easy Pocket Photo Theremin.

In regards to appearance, I wanted this pair to have a beat up electronic feel bordering on steam punk, so I gathered parts of mismatched metal types (copper, chrome, gold, brass).

This is the first time I used a different model of goggle to start with. They have roughly the same dimensions as my usual set but have larger vents on the sides with some nifty plastic removable inserts which allowed me to wrap metallic rubber chord around the edge of the goggles to create this unique ‘grip’ effect. :

IMG_0224

Lenses? Not this time! I installed a speaker and volume knob in the eye pieces. The volume knob is attached to a potentiometer which is held in place by some laser-cut acrylic fitted to the inside of the goggle. :

Delta Smack




Play all

Uploaded videos

1-10 of 33
  • 0:37 3D Printed Delta Robot Complete : JEDEN GravityRoad 12 views 4 hours ago This is the upgraded delta prototype in action with its new sleek yellow arms and heavier bottom... quiver in its wake. http://roboticarts.wordpress.com
  • 2:32 3D Printed Delta Robot Testing GravityRoad 226 views 1 week ago This is another video of my first working prototype made completely from 3D printed parts and ball bearings.
  • 0:33 3D Printed Delta Robot Prototype : Jeden! GravityRoad 80 views 1 week ago This is the first working delta prototype I've produce created completely of 3D printed parts and ball bearings!
  • 1:12 Theremin Goggles Demo GravityRoad 8,824 views 1 week ago These audio goggles produce an awesome and annoying tone that can be altered by the amount of light hitting them. For more information about how I made them, check out my b...
  • 0:13 DIY Paper Bellow with Servo GravityRoad 125 views 1 week ago A quick mockup of a micro servo powering the puffing movement of a paper bellow. Visit my robot blog to learn how : http://roboticarts.wordpress.com/2013/03/23/bellows/
  • 1:18 Reactor Goggles Demo GravityRoad 2,284 views 1 month ago Check out this nifty pair of goggles I made inspired by the Iron Man Arc Reactor. Special thanks to Justin (Gizmaniac) for writing the code for them! Also, thank you Mark f...
  • 1:52 Syn Shop's ShopBot learns to write its name GravityRoad 85 views 2 months ago So Krux got the ShopBot moving this Saturday (1.12.13). Here is some footage of it running the demo code (spelling its name).
  • 1:51 Photo Theremin GravityRoad 78 views 2 months ago A simple theremin made with photo resistors... with a charming sound... Here is the schematic I used : http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2008-04/build-pocket-theremin-cheap
  • 0:22 RGB Switches with ATTiny 2313 Microcontroller GravityRoad 755 views 4 months ago The project for this weekend was wiring up all my goggle's components on the breadboard (a switch for each color channel and a toggle button) and then having someone help f...
  • 3:19 Speed Progress of Delta Parts in SketchUp GravityRoad 118 views 6 months ago I have decided to 3D print the parts for my Delta bots. This was my first go at Sketchup.




No comments: