Search My Blog

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Create a RAID10 array - Kezhong's Weblog

RAID10 means the combination of RAID 0 and RAID 1. It absorbs the advantages of RAID0 and RAID1 that provides mirroring and better performance. It also gives better performance than RAID 5 while a failed drive remains unreplaced. So it is popularly used in real working environment.

In my virtual machine, I had installed Fedora 11 as my last article. Before switched on, I created six virtual disks with the same size (5G). Then I began to do the test for creating RAID10.

Create a RAID10 array

Skipping on down...
Add the following line to /etc/mdadm.conf in order that the system can find the array after reboot. If you did not do, you would not find md3 using “cat /proc/mdstat” command and occur unbootable problem when you finished making filesystem and configured it into /etc/fstab file after you reboot the system. If the unbootable problem occur, you can find the solution from my next article “Solving an unbootable problem caused by modifying fstab“.

Skipping down...

Installing Linux on Software RAID 1

When you setup a server for a critical application system, the reliability is your first consideration. You can imagine what will happen if the server can not boot due to disk failure. So your best choice is create RAID 1 for your operating system.

In my test, I installed Fedora 11 on software RAID1. The following is the steps.

Firstly, I created a new virtual machine with VMware Workstation 6.5. I set the size of disk to 8GB. After created, I added another disk which its size is the same with the previous using “Edit virtual machine settings”. I turned on the virtual machine, and started to install Fedora 11. During the installation, when I finished setting the root password, it asked me to partition the hard drive. I selected “Create custom layout”, and presses the “Next” button. It presented the below screen.

Read more...
http://kezhong.wordpress.com/page/4/

Don

No comments: