StackTraces and How do I generate a backtrace?
A stack trace is one of the most important pieces of information you can provide to help others debug an application crash. This page details the importance of stack traces and outlines several methods for obtaining stack traces.
If you are experiencing a crash, the basic steps to generating a useful stack trace for common Gnome desktop applications are:
- Install the appropriate -debuginfo RPM(s) before the crash (see instructions below).
- Wait for the crash to happen or perform whatever steps reproduce it.
- Bug Buddy will automatically detect the crash and obtain a stack trace.
- Include the stack trace in your bug report (see Bugs and feature requests for full instructions).
If Bug Buddy does not start automatically, you will need to start the program in a special way, using a debugger (such as gdb). See gdb instructions below.
- 1 What is a stack trace (backtrace)?
- 2 What does a stack trace look like?
- 3 What are debugging symbols, and why are they important?
- 4 What are debuginfo rpms, and how do i get them?
- 5 How do I generate a backtrace?
- 6 What debuginfo packages should I install?
- 7 Obtaining a stack trace using just GDB
- 8 Obtaining a stack trace from a core dump
- 9 How to install Bug Buddy
- 10 Obtaining a stack trace from a Gnome application using Bug Buddy
- 11 Obtaining a stack trace from a Gnome application using both Bug Buddy and GDB
- 12 Special cases
- 13 Programs running as another user
- 14 Firefox
- 15 Other tools
- 16 References
How do I generate a backtrace?
First make sure that you have installed the debuginfo packages for the application you are debugging and all related libraries. A developer often tells you to install specific debuginfo packages because he can tell from a stack trace which libraries are involved in the crash. See below for recommended packages for some common type of applications.
There are several ways to get a stack trace:
- Obtaining a stack trace using just GDB.
- Obtaining a stack trace from a core dump with GDB.
- Obtaining a stack trace from a Gnome application using Bug Buddy.
- Obtaining a stack trace from a Gnome application using both Bug Buddy and GDB.
The versions using gdb are useful for all applications, while the Bug Buddy versions are very nice and simple for Gnome applications that can use it.
Check out my Web Pages and Blog’s too...
Don's Music and Poems at DonSongs.com
DonSongs! Download Both Albums in MP3's Free! Also, there's Pages of my Songs, Poems and Pic’s of me and friends:>) www.DonSongs.com
Download The Whole Living Beings - Climate Control Album Free!:) We have our New Album Out Now! With me, Don Bishop doing Vocals and Lyrics and Marty Splawn Playing all the Music! And You can Download the whole Album Free!
And here’s an alternative Living Beings download site that also has smaller 64Kbps M3U versions for Dialup connections and it has Streams of the complete album too if you just want to listen online without saving the MP3’s. http://www.archive.org/details/DonBishopLivingBeingsClimateControl
Living Beings Blog has some MP3 Song clips from our Living Beings - Climate Control album. Also, I put up some of my favorite Pic’s. http://livingbeings.blogspirit.com/
And here’s an alternative DonSongs download site that also has smaller 64Kbps M3U versions for Dialup connections and it has Streams of the complete album too if you just want to listen online without saving the MP3’s. http://www.archive.org/details/DonBishopDonSongs002
CMU - Christian Music Underground
CMU was started by Don Bishop to share the music of myself and of course the rest of you guys who are among the non commercial artists out there who work hard at their music and want to Glorify, Praise and Share the Love of our Lord Jesus.
DonSongs Blog... This is a Collection of Songs written & Sung by Don Bishop from 01-1991 to 03-2002.http://donsongs.blogspirit.com/
I need help starting a ministry for Kids. Do you love Kids and Teenagers? If you feel a calling on your life to help the least of these grow up and learn to live and love and believe in Jesus, then please check out our vision.
Psalms 68 Ministries http://www.Psalms68.com
Classified Ads, Place Your’s for Free Here! Try out my free Classified Ads Site.