Search My Blog

Sunday, March 10, 2013

I Burned up my Audio Output Circuit in my Dell 6000 Laptop!



I set up the Dell 6000 Laptop to Duel Boot WinXP and Korora Linux, a nice Fedora Remix.













Here's my Power Supply - Audio Amp Project, in Progress...

I've been working on my Power Supply - Amp Project for the last few days. I'm getting close to getting it finished. I have the Power Supply's connected together and producing from 3.5 to 24 volts DC. I put two 80 Watt Car Audio Amps for running my Speakers in the House (my Computer Speaker Amp is Dying). I got one of the Audio Amps hooked up and working last night. But, I made a Big mistake. I Unplugged and Re-Plugged the Audio wire, going from my Dell 6000 Laptop to the Amp (to check the connection). Something I have routinely done with any other type of Sound Gear for 47 years with no problems. But, one of the connectors I was using is all metal, which is a conductor of electricity. Very Durable, but I guess, this can be a problem too. I suspect it caused a brief short in the line and it Burned up my Audio Output Circuit in my Laptop! I smelled that Dreaded Burning Electronics Smell and Freaked Out, just a little bit! Oh... Krapp!!!:O I guess Laptops are more sensitive than other Electronics. I vaguely remember my Buddy having this happen to him, on his Dell Laptop. Back in the late 90's. They should have an auto disconnect in the Circuit to protect the electronic parts. But, evidently, Dell does not! I was so upset!:( This is the Laptop that my Sister and Niece gave me. because, it wouldn't Boot up. I Reformatted it and set it up to Duel Boot, with WinXP and Kororaa Linux. A remix of Fedora. It is or was in very good physical condition and had been well taken care of. I wanted to take good care of it too. The rest of the Laptop still works fine and the internal speakers still work too. But, No Audio Out, Now. I was using it every day to listen to my favorite Christian Rock Radio Station 89.7FM, Online. It doesn't come in good on my Radio's. The signal is to weak, where I live. I may be able to fix the Laptop. I will have to do some research and see if I can find a How Too and get the right parts too. I will definitely try. So, there's another Project, for my List...
Update: I ended up just buying a USB Audio Adapter. I actually got 2 of these. On for the Laptop and one for a Desktop, with noise in it's On-Board Audio. Ordered on November 16, 2013 (1 item). 7.1 Channel USB External Sound Card Audio Adapter Generic Sold by: LTZmart - Ships From HongKong. It is $1.92 with free shipping, today (08-16-15).

Don

Here's what I found on the Dell 6000 Audio Problems today...

Article Summary: Instructions on How to Run The Built-In Diagnostics For Your System.

Table of Contents:

  1. Start the PSA Diagnostics (Click Here to watch a video on Dell PSA Diagnostics (English Only))
  2. Analyze the Error Code
  3. Downloading and Viewing Computer Manuals
  4. Resetting the System Setup (BIOS) to its Default Settings





1.


  Start the PSA Diagnostics  

  1. Turn the computer off.

  2. Turn the computer back on.

  3. Immediately at the Dell logo screen, starting tapping the <F12> key once a second until the One Time Boot menu appears (if the computer boots to Windows turn the computer off and try again).
     Note:
    Some systems do not have an F12 key, to access the boot options you have to press the <0> (zero) key at the Dell logo screen.
  4. At the One Time Boot menu, press the <Down> arrow key to highlight Diagnostics, PSA+ or Enter ePSA, then press <Enter> to begin the PSA.

  5. Write down any Error Codes and Validation codes listed.

  6. See Section 2 for information on how to determine what the error code means and possible solutions.



Back to Top




2.


  Use Interactive Search Agent to Analyze the
  Error Code  


Dell's Interactive Search Agent can provide you with information regarding your specific error code.
You may need to provide information on what version of Diagnostics your computer has installed to get the correct results.

 Note:
To find out what version of diagnostics your computer has, look at the top of the screen.
If it shows "Pre Boot System Assessment" select PSA or PSA+. If it shows "ePSA Pre Boot System Assessment", select ePSA.




Click Here to access our Interactive Search Agent


Back to Top




3.


  Downloading and Viewing Computer Manuals



Read More...
http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleIframeView?docid=266787&doclang=EN#Issue3


Dell 6000 Laptop Audio Output Jack Repair


PCH Search & Win: Dell 6000 Laptop Audio Output Jack...
How do I fix my broken audio-out jack? - Dell Inspiron 6000 - iFixit
Dell Inspiron 6000 Repair Manual - iFixit
No Audio dell inspiron 6000 - Laptop Audio Forum - Laptop - Dell Community
Dell Diagnostics Audio Tests - Laptop Audio Forum - Laptop - Dell Community
How to Run the Dell 32-bit Diagnostics Utility
How to Take Apart a Dell Inspiron 6000 | eHow.com
Inspiron 6000 Headphone Jack not working ? - Laptop Audio Forum - Laptop - Dell Community
How to Replace DC Power Jack for Dell Inspiron 6000 | eHow.com
Dell Official Site - The Power To Do More | Dell
Dell Inspiron 6000 Review (pics, specs)
Product Selection | Dell US
DX Shopping Cart - great design, price and selection on cool gadgets. Have to put in PayPal Cart to get Shipping Cost
Run Built-In Diagnostics for Your System
http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleIframeView?docid=266787&doclang=EN#Issue3


Or, you could just buy a USB Audio and Mic Adapter...


2-Channel USB 2.0 External Digital Sound Adapter - Plug in Headphones
5.1 Surround USB 2.0 External 3D Sound Card
7.1 Sound Channel USB 2.0 Steel sound 5HV2 Sound Card (Black) CA0007B - $6.59 - Affordable Cables
Amazon.com: Virtual 5.1-surround USB 2.0 External Sound Card: Computers & Accessories
audio card - Google Search
C-Media CM108 Virtual 7.1-Surround USB 2.0 External Sound Card with Hardware Volume Control and Mute - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
Good looking one Says works with Linux 2 audio out and 2 mic in - Virtual 7.1 Channel USB 2.0 Sound Card Adapter
Logilink USB 2.0 7.1 Sound Audio Adapter
Rakuten.com - USB 2.0 External Sound Card 3D 5.1 Audio Adapter
SABRENT USB-SBCV Adapter - Newegg.com
Sabrent USB-SBCV Sound card
SABRENT USB-SND8 Adapter - Newegg.com
Sabrent - USB-SND8 - USB 7.1 Sound Card Box External
Sound Cards External - Let Me Buy
tenx technology
Unisc USB 2.0 Virtual 5.1 Channel Audio Sound Card Adapter Green - DinoDirect.com
USB 2.0 External 7.1CH Optical Audio Sound Card Adapter on eBay!
USB 2.0 External Mic/Speaker 3D 5.1 Channel Audio PC Sound Card Adapter Brown [YS320921214838] - $4.25 : Buybay - Worldwide Free Shipping for Apparels, Gadgets, Health & Beauty, Home & Garden
USB 2.0 External Sound Card Adapter To Virtual 7.1 Channel Audio For PC Desktop on eBay!
USB 2.0 External Sound Card - Google Search
USB 2.0 External Sound Card - Google Search
USB 2.0 External Sound Card - Google Search
USB 2.0 to Audio Adapter with Microphone In and Speaker / Headphone In
Virtual 5.1-Surround USB 2.0 External Sound Card | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Virtual 5.1-Surround USB 2.0 External Sound Card - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

No comments: