Search My Blog

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Linux Today - OpenSUSE Li-F-E vs. Edubuntu vs. Ubuntu

OpenSUSE Li-F-E vs. Edubuntu vs. Ubuntu
Apr 1, 2010, 22 :32 UTC (0 Talkback[s]) (296 reads)

(Other stories by Chrisopher Dawson)

"As I noted in my post over on Between the Lines (”Why doesn’t IBM just buy Novell already?”), I’ve been testing OpenSUSE’s Linux for Education Project and Ubuntu 10.04 server beta 1. I have a couple of problems that I was hoping they could solve: 1) a thin client environment that would allow me to redeploy several stacks of colored iMacs; 2) an easy Moodle setup that I could not only use for some pilots but share with colleagues looking to deploy their first LMS; and 3) determine if Ubuntu really should reign among Linux distros in education (and elsewhere).

"Why use the early beta of Ubuntu Server? I wanted to evaluate whether it was as cool as the desktop version of 10.04 and I was working in a non-production environment, so why not? Today I did actually leave it behind and began using 9.10 to solve some problems with LTSP and Moodle, by the way, but overall, it’s quite solid for the first beta."

Complete Story
At http://education.zdnet.com/?p=3767

This spinet...
http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2010-04-01-028-35-OS-SS-UB

Don

No comments: