Scary Steam for Linux bug erases all the personal files on your PC
If youre a Steam fan running Linux, the last thing you'll want to do in the next few days is mess with your Steam files. Users on Valve's GitHub Steam for Linux page are complaining about a nasty bug that has the potential to wipe out every single personal file on your PC. Even worse, users say the bug will even wipe out documents on USB connected drives. So much for local backups...
You can Read through the Posts on GitHub, to see what is exactly happening, here...
I am not sure what happened. I moved the folder in the title to a drive mounted under /media/user/BLAH and symlinked /home/user/.local/steam to the new location.
I launched steam. It did not launch, it offered to let me browse, and still could not find it when I pointed to the new location. Steam crashed. I restarted it.
It re-installed itself and everything looked great. Until I looked and saw that steam had apparently deleted everything owned by my user recursively from the root directory. Including my 3tb external drive I back everything up to that was mounted under /media.
Back to the Article and Skipping on down...
Steam's bug appears to be caused by a line in the Steam.sh Bash script:
rm -rf '$STEAMROOT/'*. That command is a basic Bash instruction that tells the computer to remove the STEAMROOT directory and all its sub-directories (folders).
That's all well and good, but the issue is that if the STEAMROOT folder is not there then the computer interprets the command as
rm -rf '/'*, as first reported by Bit-Tech. If you're not familiar with Bash, that command tells the system to delete everything on your hard drive starting from the root directory.
The saving grace for Linux users is that you can only erase files you have write permissions over. That means the system itself can't be erased, but pretty much all of a user's files'"including photos and personal documents'"would be at risk.'
Ironically, the instruction at issue is preceded by a comment from the developer:
Scary Steam for Linux bug erases all the personal files on your PC (01-18-15)
- GamingOnLinux - Steam Hardware Survey Changes, Now Split Per-Platform
- GamingOnLinux - Steam Lights The Green Light For More Linux Games
- Leadwerks Game Developer Toolkit Now Heading To Steam For Linux | GamingOnLinux
- Linux Federation | Linux For Everyone
- Linux Today - 8 Free to Play Steam Games for Linux
- Linux Today - Leadwerks Game Developer Toolkit Now Heading To Steam For Linux
- Linux Today - Scary Steam for Linux bug erases all the personal files on your PC
- Linux Today - Steam Hardware Survey Changes, Now Split Per-Platform & Linux Looks Good
- Linux Today - Steam Lights The Green Light For More Linux Games
- Linux Today - Steam's In-Home Steaming Is a Wake-Up Call for Windows, Linux Is Growing Stronger
- Linux Today - You Can Trick Steam for Linux to Think It's Running in SteamOS
- Scary Steam for Linux bug erases all the personal files on your PC | ITworld
- Scary Steam for Linux bug erases all the personal files on your PC | PCWorld
- Stallman comes out against Steam for Linux | ITProPortal.com
- Steam's In-Home Steaming Is a Wake-up Call for Windows, Linux Is Growing Stronger
- TuxArena | Free Steam Games for Linux
- You Can Trick Steam for Linux to Think It's Running in SteamOS
- DESURA! Steam like Client for Linux Gaming! - YouTube
- Uninstall Steam - How To's - Knowledge Base - Steam Support
- guides/how-not-to-rm-yourself.md at master · sindresorhus/guides · GitHub
- Finally, An In-Built Way To Choose Steam Install Locations | Rock, Paper, Shotgun