Search My Blog

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Don't just watch your TV... Play it! de/Rastra

I love old electronics. That's what I grew up with in the 60's and 70's (it was all new then). And finally, people are just giving the old stuff away. I have old TV's Computers, Pro 3/4 inch Video Tape Decks and a Pro Video Editing Computer in the Garage. All just awaiting my attention. And last week I was given an old P2 350mhz and an AMD 166mhz Computer. I've been swapping parts with my other, slightly newer P2 500mhz and 400mhz and trying out different Linux Distros on them ever since:) I ran sound for Bands for 12 years and I like to sing and write and record songs. So, this project is right up my alley. I "only know enough to be Dangerous". When it comes to the Hardware End of Electronics. But, I would like to try something with those old TV's... Check this Project out. Looks, very interesting...

Don


de/Rastra


The de/Rastra oscillographic synthesizer is a real-time audio/video instrument and computer-interfacing device that allows a performer to generate visualizations intrinsic to cathode ray tube technology while simultaneously creating the acoustic analog of the displayed imagery. By way of building, bending and mutilating, de/Rastra shows the effects of altering the anatomical makeup of a CRT television, revealing the intrinsically hidden potentials of the technology through the repurposing and restructuring of its own ability. Through hacking and exploiting the capabilities intrinsic to all CRT devices, the technology becomes repurposed as a performative interface, breaking down the device’s ‘consumption only’ nature. The performer is given control over the technology by removing it from the intended application and forcing it into an active state through a combination of physical and mental effort. The de/Rastra oscillographic synthesizer is an open source project and will eventually be accompanied by tutorials on methods of CRT hacking. Related tutorials can be found at http://www.crackedraytube.com/textstutorials.html but specific information regarding de/Rastra are in progress.

 

- Video

 

 

- de/Rastra Full Text

No comments: