Search My Blog

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

./: Linux Adaptation - The Backdoor Method

Linux Adaptation - The Backdoor Method

Confrontation is rarely the best path to communication.  Fact is...confrontation is by my understanding, a one-sided communication with the expectation of a singular response.

Not exactly the best conduit for dialog.

But there are exceptions to every rule and some patterns need broken to establish new ideas.  Sometimes the act of denying someone a specific thing evokes a stronger desire for that person to possess it.

How do you think the whole "play hard to get" thing got traction throughout the years?

Seems to be, as far as I can tell, it's the complex and contradictory intangible we call human nature.

There were 7 of us gathered at a local watering hole down on 6th Street in Austin.  Just a few friends and associates who had run into each other and decided to pull a couple of tables together and share some time.  A couple of them I knew, one was someone I ran into professionally on a regular basis...we all had links to each other in one way or another by various degrees of separation. 

but none of those links had much to do with technology or computers.

Until then.

Several of us had recently gotten off work and had our laptops or mini's with us.  There were three on the table and one of us mentioned a particular clip on metacafe.com.  I opened my laptop and opened a browser to the mentioned link.  It was some contentious exchange between help desk technicians that devolved into a pushing match and ultimately...high-pitched screaming.

Modern-day warriors among the cubicles.

While my Acer was on the table, I absently spun to the next desktop on  my machine and opened a document that I wanted to share with one of my table-mates.

The guy next to me stopped cold.

"What did you just do"?

I glanced over at him.  "What do you mean?"

That spinny thing on your computer....how did you do that?"

I manipulated the touch pad and dropped the desktop to a cube with Atlantis in the background.    I spun it and angled it so the top and bottom cap could be seen.

"You mean this?"

The guy on the other side of me heard the conversation and looked over.

"What program is that.  Is it freeware?"

I shook my head without looking over at him.

No, it's not a program.  It's Linux.  It's an operating system with 3D capability.

"Like AutoCad?"

I shook my head again and answered a bit impatiently.

"No, not like AutoCad.  It isn't an application or program for Windows.  In fact, your Windows computer can't do this.  These are different desktops, all individual from one another and I can do different things on each one of them at different times." 

I opened the desktop configuration gui and expanded the number of desktops to 8 and then started flipping between them as I opened different applications on each environment.  By then, everyone at the table was trying to get into position to see the Acer.  They were talking about how nice it would be to encapsulate a number of tasks and leave them in various states of completion without worrying about losing their work when they switched between them.

Read more...
http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2010/02/message-to-helios-project-bring-it.html

Don

No comments: