Search My Blog

Thursday, June 24, 2010

RWDub's Reviews: X-Plane Follow-up

X-Plane Follow-up
During the past few weeks I've continued to work on getting X-Plane to
function well on my Core i7 Ubuntu 10.04 box . It has been a long
journey, and I've learned many things. As of now, I have my joystick
hat button working with Jhat, and I have frame rates that vary from 30
to 60 fps while I'm flying.
After struggling for hours to get Jhat to through the shell script that
comes with it, I decided to just make my own shell script. Instead of
looking for the name of the Joystick, I just had it look for the
joystick device..

#!/bin/sh
# The left/right axis, and the up/down axis. Use jstest to find this out.
xaxis=4
yaxis=5
# Go to the Jhat directory and execute jhat using JS0 as input
cd '/home/user1/Programs/X-Plane 9/jhat'
./jhat /dev/input/js0 $xaxis $yaxis &
# Go to Xplane directory and execute Xplane
cd '/home/user1/Programs/X-Plane 9'
./X-Plane-i686
This script has changed my opinion about X-Plane... but the hat issue
still needs addressed in the Linux kernel, or in X-Plane itself, I don't
care, just fix it:)

As for the frame-rate, I couldn't understand why I was getting a message
every time I opened X-Plane that said "You have set too many rendering
options, X-Plane is going to put all this lousy fog on distant scenery
to help get your frame-rate up." By reading many different pages on the
net on setting up X-Plane I finally noticed what my critical mistake
was. I had not remembered to turn down my screen resolution. My native
resolution is 1920x1080, so by lowering that to 1680x1050, my fps went
from 19 to 75 with all rendering settings on default. Check out the
settings below. These settings are giving are giving me 30 t0 60 fps.

Read more...
http://www.rwdubsreviews.com/2010/06/x-plane-follow-up.html

I remember those somewhat comical error messages in XPlane!:) "You have
set too many rendering options, X-Plane is going to put all this lousy
fog on distant scenery to help get your frame-rate up." It's nice to see
Coders with a nice sense of humor:) Yep, I use to get that same error in
WinXP too. Guess it's a common Problem. And I had to set my Res to
something that XPlane liked too. Can't remember exactly what now. Been a
while. I run Fedora and Debian as my main OS's now a days. I wonder if I
could get my old XPlane 7 working on one of them??? Thanks for the info...

Don

No comments: