Search My Blog

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

England's National Media Museum Discovers World’s First Color Moving Pictures made by photographer and inventor Edward Turner using a process he patented with his financial backer Frederick Lee in 1899

I have love Photography and Movie Making, since I was a kid. I think I got the Bug, form my MaMa (Grandmother on my Dad's side). She was a prolific Photographer and made 8mm Movies with her Brownie Camera, throughout all of our growing up years. She also Edited her movies with her 8mm Film Editor. And put them on 20 to 25 minute Reels for Showing them to the Family on certain occasions, with her Bell and Howell Movie Projector. She had many Scrap Books of her Still Shots, taken with her Kodak Cameras over the years. As she got older, she gave me her Brownie 8mm Camera. So, as a Teenager. I began to make my own movies. I made movies of my three kids first Birthdays and other occasions as well. While they were growing up. I only really stopped. Because, the film became hard to find and very expensive. I ended up inheriting all of MaMa's 8mm Movie Equipment. And I dreamed of Editing all of my own 8mm Movies. I was also into Audio Recording. Since I got my first Reel to Reel Tape Deck, as a kid. So, I dreamed of figuring out a way to Record Live Audio and Sync it to my Movies. But, to this day I have not got around to Editing any of those 8mm Movies. Well, except for putting some of them together on 20 minute Reels, back in the day. No sound added though or none recorded at the time either. I also had several Kodak Still Cameras over the years. One of my favorites, was my Kodak Instamatic 110. Which MaMa gave me as a Teenager. I took many pictures with that camera for 10 to 15 years. I'm sure it would still work today. If I could get film for it and get it developed. I had to different models of the Kodak Polaroid Cameras too. A Polaroid Swinger, Black and White. And a larger Color Polaroid Camera. But the Pictures faded, after a few years, with that one. When the chemical leaked out of the Strip on the bottom of the Picture. It was Discontinued, later on. I didn't know allot about 35mm Cameras, back in those day. Except, that they were Expensive! But, in the 1980's. I did finally get a Cannon T-80. I loved that Camera. It was so full of features and it would Shoot manually as well. I never owned a Video Tape Camera until the mid 1990's. I bought a real TV Camera at an AV Equipment Auction. It was a Sony BVP-3. This Camera sold for over $10,000 when it was new!:) This was at the time when Video was all going Digital. So, the camera was considered Out Dated. But, it was fantastic to me!:) I never got the Cables to Hook it up to the 3/4 inch VTR's that I had bought at that Auction, along with the Camera. But, I did use the RF Output to Record on a Regular VCR. It mad the best possible quality Video Taps on a VCR. It was capable of recording 750 lines of Resolution. But, a Standard VCR only Records at about 240 lines. Still, my videos looked great. I used an external Audio Mixer and several different Mics to record my Audio. From a Sure SM-58. To a Car Audio Speaker, as a quasi Parabolic Microphone. Yes, Speakers will work as Microphones. But, the sound will sound like everything is down in a Barrel. They will pickup sounds from very far away and in a wide field as well, though. I learned this by experimenting with a Speaker, back when I was a kid. One day, I got to looking at the Diaphragm of a Broken Radio Shack Mic. And noticed that it looked just like a Speaker, in Design. So, I hooked up a Speaker to my Mic input and low and behold. I got Sound! In the 70's I use to hook up the Speakers of my entire home Stereo System (I had 4 speakers) to my TEAC Cassette Deck and record Sound from the whole house. Just for fun. We would sit around and have conversations and then Play them back and listen and laugh. I still have most of those old Cassettes, in a Box in my Closet. One of these days. I'm gonna Digitize all of that old stuff;)... As I'm writing all of this. I'm in the big middle of a YouTube Video Project. My first real published Video Project to date. It's called, XBMC Raspberry Pi Solution Bundle from Element14.com Review and First Experience by Don Bishop (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAG1YL-u0LzdGtjz1JNryX73ZGPrxJ5Fn). My Review Article is at, http://donsdeals.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-xbmc-raspberry-pi-solution-bundle.html.

But, back to the original Purpose of this Post! Here is a Digital Video Reproduction of the Oldest Known Moving Picture Video, in the World. England's National Media Museum Discovers World's First Color Moving Pictures made by photographer and inventor Edward Turner using a process he patented with his financial backer Frederick Lee in 1899...


I better get back to work on my Project. If I'm ever gonna finish it!:O

Don


World's Oldest Color Film (1901 / 1902) - Edward Turner - Recently discovered 1st colour footage


The First Colour Moving Pictures at the National Media Museum


National Media Museum Discovers World's First Colour Moving Pictures

12 September 2012

London and Bradford, 13 September 2012 – The National Media Museum in Bradford has unveiled the earliest colour moving pictures ever made. The Museum will now invite the public to see these vivid images from its Collection for the first time in over a hundred years in a new display which opens today.

These films were made by photographer and inventor Edward Turner using a process he patented with his financial backer Frederick Lee in 1899. Experts at the Museum have dated the films to 1901/2, making these the earliest examples of colour moving pictures in existence.

Lee and Turner's invention has always been regarded by film historians as a practical failure but it has now been 'unlocked' through digital technology, revealing the images produced by the process for the first time in over a hundred years. It's also a story of young death and commercial intrigue in the earliest days of the film industry.


Read More...
http://www.nationalmediamuseum.org.uk/AboutUs/PressOffice/2012/September/NationalMediaMuseumDiscoversWorldsFirstColourMovingPictures.aspx

Video - England's National Media Museum Discovers World's First Color Moving Pictures made by photographer and inventor Edward Turner using a process he patented with his financial backer Frederick Lee in 1899


Retrotechtacular: World's First Color Movie
World's Oldest Color Film (1901 / 1902) - Edward Turner - Recently discovered 1st colour footage - YouTube
National Media Museum Discovers World's First Colour Moving Pictures - Press Office - About Us - National Media Museum
▶ The First Colour Moving Pictures at the National Media Museum - YouTube

No comments: