Search My Blog

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

NDEP | Diabetes Information, Education, and Treatment

NDEP | Diabetes Information, Education, and Treatment

Diabetes Risk Factors

There are many factors that increase your risk for diabetes. To find out
about your risk, note each item on this list that applies to you.

* I am 45 years of age or older.
* The At-Risk Weight Chart shows my current weight puts me at risk.
* I have a parent, brother, or sister with diabetes.
* My family background is African American, Hispanic/Latino,
American Indian, Asian American, or Pacific Islander.
* I have had diabetes while I was pregnant (this is called
gestational diabetes) or I gave birth to a baby weighing 9 pounds or more.
* I have been told that my blood glucose (blood sugar) levels are
higher than normal.
* My blood pressure is 140/90 or higher, or I have been told that I
have high blood pressure.
* My cholesterol (lipid) levels are not normal. My HDL cholesterol
("good" cholesterol) is less than 35 or my triglyceride level is higher
than 250.
* I am fairly inactive. I am physically active less than three times
a week.
* I have been told that I have polycystic ovary syndrome (POS).
* The skin around my neck or in my armpits appears dirty no matter
how much I scrub it. The skin appears dark, thick and velvety. This is
called acanthosis nigricans (A-can-THO-sis NI-gric-cans).
* I have been told that I have blood vessel problems affecting my
heart, brain, or legs.

If you have any of the items above, be sure to talk with your health
care team about your risk for diabetes and whether you should be tested.
At-Risk Weight Charts

Go there...

http://ndep.nih.gov/am-i-at-risk/DiabetesRiskFactors.aspx

Don

1 comment:

John said...

I work on the NDEP campaign. Great to see people taking an interest in our material!