Search My Blog

Friday, August 19, 2011

Some Free Browser-Based & Online Proofreading Tools and AtD for Open Office too...

Gizmo's Freeware is Recruiting

Some Free Browser-Based & Online Proofreading Tools

Updated 19. August 2011 - 11:02 by Ritho

A while back I ran across a free Spelling and Grammar proofreading tool called “After the Deadline.” It looked interesting so I decided to test it for a while to see how it would perform. It actually worked well for certain mistakes that would not normally be caught by the spell checker built-in to most modern browsers. It easily caught such things as doubled words, article mismatch, the mix-up of words like “to and too” or “its and it’s,” as well as a few more subtle errors. I was pleased with its overall performance, but I wondered how it compared to any other free browser based or online proof-reading programs that may be available.

So I went searching and found a few other free tools, then set about devising a way to put them to the test. I decided that the best way to assess how well they worked would be to write a short text with an assortment of errors ranging from the obvious to those which are commonly overlooked. The following text is certainly not a work of genius, but I believe it was sufficient to reveal how well these tools actually work. Why don’t you give the two paragraphs below a look or two and see how many errors you can spot. Feel free to post your findings in the comments below. It will be fun.

Read More...
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/some-free-browser-based-online-proofreading-tools.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gizmosbest+%28Gizmo%27s+Best-ever+Freeware%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

Interesting info... I've tried After the Deadline before. I can't remember much about now. Except that I don't use it now. So, it must have not impressed me much... I would much prefer an Add on for Open Office. Oh! That's what I tried it in!:O Open Office and it caused some Crashes and I uninstalled it. Now, I remember... That was at least a year ago now though. So, It may be worth a looks again. If it still has an Open Office or Libre Office Plugin. Wait, lets see... Yep, here it is on their site...

I think I'll try it again and see if it works better now. Maybe they've got the bugs out... Well, So far So good. I used it on this text and it found one word that Thunderbird's Crammer Checker Didn't find. A word which was spelled correctly, but not the right word for the sentence, nor the word I intended to use. Dang that Spell Check!:) And Thunderbird's Spell Check and Gammer Checker it actually better than the Standard one in Open Office, for me. As for the others I think that these tools would be great if they would work in E-mail Clients too. I Post to my Blog via e-mail and almost never Copy and Paste into the Blog User Interface. That is such a Pain!:O

Don

New Articles

Updated Articles


No comments: