Search My Blog

Monday, March 22, 2010

Easy (and amazing) Debian for the N900. | Open attitude.

Easy (and amazing) Debian for the N900.

By the time you read this my Nokia N900 will be packed up and on its way back to the kind folks who let me test it. As a last hurrah I spent my evening yesterday seeing how far I could push it; the results are fairly spectacular…

I had read previously about installing .deb files using something called “red pill mode“; this is no longer possible, but in its place is a fantastic app called Easy Debian which does exactly what its title would suggest .

Easy Debian is basically a virtual machine for your N900. It doesn’t require a dual-boot like Wubi, and is instead a full Debian desktop OS that runs as an app and won’t interfere with anything else on your device — except for available storage space.

Ok, So... If you're like me. You are thinking, sounds cool. But, what's an M900 and how much does this thing Cost??? Well, the link in this article took me to an Amazon Page with... Nokia N900 Unlocked Phone/Mobile Computer with 3.5-Inch Touchscreen, QWERTY, 5 MP Camera, Maemo Browser, 32 GB--U.S. Version. I was listed for $524.54!:O Now, I don't even have a LapTop yet! So, Ya... that's not the kind of phone I can afford. Must be nice to have money to burn!:O I'm wondering what about all these old Mobile Phones everyone has around. Can't we load some kind of Linux on them and make them good for something again??? Don

Read more...
http://openattitude.com/2010/03/19/easy-and-amazing-debian-for-the-n900/


No comments: