Search My Blog

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Setting up dual booting and sharing data between them

Setting up dual booting and sharing data between them
Nov 2, 2009, 00 :04 UTC (0 Talkback[s]) (836 reads)

(Other stories by Svein Wisnaes)

[ Thanks to Svein Wisnaes for this link. ]

"When you want to have two operating systems on your harddisk you have a few considerations to make. Do you want them to just live side by side with no interaction, or do you want to be able to use some data in both systems? How much space do you have to give to each? And how do you want to organize each one of them?

"I also had the added problems of a couple of special partitions on my old harddisk. The old one looked like this:

fat16 86.26MB – a rescue partition set up by Dell
ntfs 88.66GB – the main system partition that contained WindowsXP Pro
fat32 3GB – the MediaDirect partition

"MediaDirect has it’s own button on my laptop, and when I press it, the laptop boots a special OS that works like a media center wher I can play DVD’s, watch pictures or listen to music.

"I researched several forums to try to figure out wether to bring the rescue partition and MediaDirect over to the new harddisk. But eventually decided to scrap both."

Complete Story

Go there...
http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2009-11-02-001-35-OS-KE-MS

Don

No comments: